Monday, April 29, 2024

Psalm for Sunday, May 5, 2024

 

Reflections

Psalm 98: 1, 2-3, 3-4  (Read)

“The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power.” 


“Break into song, sing praise.”
The Lord makes all thing new, and 

we are a new creation, the work of 
His hands.  And so it is right that 
we sing a 'new song' to the Lord, 
who has done marvelous 
things for us.

“The Lord has made His salvation 

known; in the sight of the nations 
He has revealed his justice.”
For us this can be about Jesus' 
victory over death and sin, so that 
we might live.

And how is salvation obtained?
How is the victory won?
It is won by God's Holy arm,
His son, our Savior Jesus Christ.
Victory is obtainable for us too,
if we keep the faith, give thanks to God, 

and praise Him.

Our Psalm exclaims,
“All the ends of the earth have seen the 

salvation of our God.”
This verse, and Sunday's 1st reading,
confirm that the gift of the Holy Spirit
is for us Gentiles too. (Acts 10:44-45)
For we are called to be baptized
in the name of Christ.

And as Jesus says in today's Gospel,
“It was not you who chose me,
but I who chose you.” (John 15:16)
We too are appointed by Him
to go forth and bear fruit,
to remain in the love of the Lord,
and to do His will.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.   Our Psalm Response is, "The Lord has revealed to the nations his saving power."  How has the Lord shown his saving power to you personally?

2.   Our Psalm speaks of singing a new song, of singing joyfully to the Lord,
and we are urged to break into song and sing praise.   What is it about your faith and the Easter season that makes you want to sing praise to the Lord?




1 comment:

  1. J Kim3:42 PM

    Music is powerful. Add lyrics to catchy tunes and you might find yourself singing at all hours of the day or night. To sing joyfully takes the catchiness of a tune to another level. We have the ability to praise Jesus with our tongues... and he loves it. Just as the birds in spring greet the day with their chirping, I embrace the Easter season as a time of victorious living.

    The Psalm begins with the command to, "...sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things! His right hand and his holy arm have gotten him victory.." (v.1)

    In the first reading, Jesus' resurrection from the dead and the pouring forth of the Holy Spirit upon ALL peoples, is a new development. The apostles learn and experience that the good news is for the Gentiles too, not just the Jews. We are of equal dignity in God's eyes and he delights in our abiding in him and his graces.

    As Jesus models this perfect love for all, guess what he calls us to do? "Love one another, as I have loved you." (John 15:12). It might logically follow that we too, are called to live this sacrificial love, but the brain and heart go in different directions sometimes. My flesh does not help me love others unconditionally. I don't even desire to do so, especially as I consider those who've wronged me or those who behave in evil ways.

    The most wonderful point of this story is that I don't have to try so hard. My joyful attitude does not come from me at all, but rather the Lord IN me. Going back to the Gospel, John 15:16 explains, "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide ; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you."

    As long as I try to remain in him and return to his love and forgiveness daily... or several times a day, as needed, he gives me what I need to live like him and bear fruit. God's Word says I am "appointed" to do so. He ordains it and would like me to glorify him with the "anointing" that is already on each of our lives. What an empowering lesson and worthy of our songs of praise!

    ReplyDelete