Monday, April 22, 2024

Psalm for Sunday, April 28, 2024


Reflections


Psalm 22: 26-27, 28, 30, 31-32  (Read)

“Let the coming generation be told of the Lord."                                               

                                                                                 
The verses of this Sunday's Psalm are uplifting     

and speak of the promise of salvation --
“The lowly shall eat their fill,” 
(We who are poor in spirit are to live
life abundantly) and,
“May your hearts live forever!”
(We can count on the Lord for salvation.) 

And praying these verses we recall that 
the suffering of the righteous man
has brought about something good 
in our human world.
“All the ends of the earth 
will worship and turn to the Lord.”
“The generations to come
will proclaim to a people yet unborn 
the deliverance you have brought.”
Our hope returns,
and we join with all the families of nations
in giving thanks to God,
who rules the world and dispenses justice.

Jesus says in today's Gospel,
“You can only bear fruit if you remain in me.” (John 15:4)
And how do we remain in Him?
The psalm says, “I will fulfill my vows 
before those who fear the LORD.”
(We are to keep His commandments.)

Finally, our psalmist commits 
that his descendants will serve the Lord,
“The generation to come will be told of the Lord.”
Here we are inspired by this Sunday's 1st reading,
where Barnabas reports that Saul
spoke out boldly in the name of Jesus. (Acts 9:27)
What better way for us to bear fruit,
than to speak out boldly for our faith, 
to our children and grandchildren.

“To him my soul shall live.”
The Psalm ends with a reversal of 
the righteous man's condition;
life is restored and the whole world
celebrates His deliverance.
What better Easter message is there than that?
And what more inspiring words for the early
Church as it reaches out to proclaim
the Gospel to the Gentiles.
 

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says, "I will fulfill my vows
before those who fear the LORD."   Does this verse inspire
you to confirm your faith boldly and take up God's praise
in the company of your fellow believers?   Discuss.

2.  The Psalm ends with an uplifting call for us to proclaim
the Lord's truth to the next generation.   Describe how
you have answered the Lord's call and how you go about
telling others about God's love.


1 comment:

  1. As a mother of two adults, who often still flop, I wonder if my parenting has been wise. Through a worldly lens, perhaps I have been too soft. Did I over-celebrate their achievements, both large or small? Have I created personalities that are too needy? Maybe the reverse is true, and I have been too critical?

    As I take a step back to re-examine the situation, I am filled with the comforts of the Holy Spirit. No matter what our external circumstances look like, I know that in God's eyes, I have been a hardworking gardener. I have spent my mothering tilling the soil of their hearts and planting the seed of God's truth at every relatable point. I have poured rain on that seed and sometimes had to dig out and replant the seed. I have used the fertilizer of the Lord's prayers and Blessed Mother Mary's intercession...to encourage those seeds of faith to take root and grow. My husband has been crucial in their healthy development, but the spiritual responsibilities have largely fallen on me.

    I may have stumbled in my own faith along the way. I may not have been bold and vocal in front of others. But I do feel that I have led my children to know the love of the Lord. Their faith walks are up and down, but always oriented TOWARD our Father in heaven. The Psalm's last two verses indeed recount beautifully what we are to do:
    "Posterity shall serve him; men shall tell of the Lord to the coming generation, and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, that he has wrought it."
    This is God's plan. I am honored to play my part, in a way that extends beyond my own children and future grandchildren, but also younger people everywhere. Though I do not feel qualified, it might be time for me to become a "spiritual mama" to those whom the Lord puts in my path.

    ReplyDelete