Monday, January 17, 2022

Psalm for Sunday, January 23, 2022


Reflections

Psalm 19:  8, 9, 10, 15    (Read)

“Let the words of my mouth meet with your favor,  O Lord.”  

  

Where does the power come from to keep us on track, 
to speak the right words, think the right thoughts?
It comes from the Lord, our rock and redeemer.  
And how does it come to us?  It comes through 
the Word, the inspired Word of God.

It is through the Word that we know His commandments, 
and through this Psalm that we know His law is a source
of refreshment, a source of joy.  When we follow the 
Lord’s commands, there is a joy that is stirred up in 
our hearts.  “The precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart.”

His statutes do not bind us, they set us free.  As in 
the days of Ezra, the reading of the law should not 
make us sad, but be a source of rejoicing. 
(Nehemiah 8: 9-10)

If we are to imitate the divine life, everything we need 
to know is found in God’s law.  The Word is the source 
of wisdom; it is where power is found.  And it is where 
the statutes of God are spelled out.

The Lord's statutes serve as our instruction manual 
for life.  But they are not just a dry set of rules that 
we cannot hope to follow; God's commandments 
refresh our souls.

The Word and the statutes endure forever.  
They are refreshing to the soul.
They enlighten the eye.
And they bring much reward.
As Christ says in today's Gospel,
scripture is fulfilled in our hearing.  (Luke 4: 21)
Give us ears to hear!

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm response this Sunday is 'Your words, Lord,
are Spirit and life.'  In what way are you impacted along
your faith journey by the words of our Lord?

2.  Speak of how the Lord's commandments are useful in
carrying out the prayer of our psalmist, 'Let the words of my
mouth and the thoughts of my heart find favor before you.'




2 comments:

  1. Jan Hammond2:11 PM

    I love the way God's word and His statutes are described as an "instruction manual for life!"
    As a child, I always looked at the 10 Commandments as the same, as our instruction sheet,
    if you will, on how to live our lives and rejoice in following God's word.
    And indeed by following these commandments we aren't stifled but given great joy in our hearts, knowing that we're following our Lord's word - we're in essence "set free"
    as the word is truly refreshing to our souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In what way am I impacted along my faith journey by the words of our Lord? I repeat the question because it's so important and crucial in my life; I completely depend on the word of God as my source for all truth, all direction, all comfort, all wisdom, all love. My every "how-to" is breathed before me in the Bible.

    Specifically, I can look to the Ten Commandments, and the Law of Moses in general, as is highlighted in the first reading... when Ezra reads to the people who have forgotten their faith and are now overjoyed at their merciful God.
    I can also look to New Testament rules, such as the Beatitudes, for a lesson in how to live and find blessing in helping others; there is also the Great commission where the resurrected Jesus tells his disciples to spread the Gospel to all the nations of the world.

    In our finite minds, we perceive laws as restrictive and used to control behavior. In God's economy, the reverse is true. His rule, his way -- provides the way toward freedom and joyful living. As our Creator, He alone knows how to fill the void in our hearts. And although we may know this, we might ignore the truth or settle for distractions and confusions wrought by the enemy.

    In my daily living, I use a variety of devotionals; I also attend a couple of weekly Bible Studies. I share this not to pat myself on the back but to illustrate a point about my relationship with God's word. It is dynamic and active. I ask and seek. I also see and listen. When the Lord repeats a message, I ought to pay extra attention!

    For the past few days, I have been reminded of Jeremiah's words in 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah is speaking these words of the Lord to the people of Judah, as they enter into Babylonian exile. He actually tells them to accept the period of exile and to live peaceably, build houses, plant gardens, and to marry and multiply... all under the evil king Nebuchadnezzar. The Lord is reassuring the people that He is still in control and will bring glory out of the situation. I am struck by the Lord's power to bring goodness into our lives, despite our external environments.

    His ways are not ours. They truly are higher. And are designed to bring us abundant blessing and holy living. Psalm 19 says so, "the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart."

    ReplyDelete