Monday, January 31, 2022

Psalm for Sunday, February 6, 2022


Reflections

Psalm 138:  1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8  (Read)



“Forsake not the work of your hands.”                                   

Our psalmist David composed this
prayer with a grateful heart.  “I will 
give thanks to you, O Lord, with all 
my heart.”

David is grateful because his 
petitions are answered by the Lord.
“For you have heard the words of 
my mouth.”   The Lord's answers to 
David's prayers have come at a
critical time, a time when our
psalmist is seeking to build up
his strength.

David speaks of a divine rescue --
“When I cried out, you answered;
you strengthened my spirit.”
Perhaps we’re all in need of a
spiritual rescue of the type David
describes.  And it isn’t because of 
any of the psalmist’s virtues that he 
obtains salvation.  It is a result of 
God’s loving fidelity, “Lord, your 
love is eternal.”

Our God does not forsake the work 
of his hands, though who has given 
the Lord anything that he may be repaid?  
Unworthy as we are, and although the Lord 
is exalted,  He watches over us in our
lowly state.  And thanks be to God, his 
kindness endures forever.  St Paul says 
the same thing in today's 2nd reading, 
“But by the grace of God I am what I am.”
(1 Corinthians 15:10)

Our psalmist reminds us: all God has 
to do is stretch out his right hand, and 
we will be saved.  “You stretch out your 
hand, your right hand saves me.”  
In like manner, in today's Gospel our 

Lord Jesus reaches out to Simon Peter, 
who is empowered to become a true 
apostle and a catcher of men by following 
the Lord.  (Luke 5:10)

Our psalm concludes with a grateful and
affirming theme, showing how Peter
probably felt,  as he fell on his face 
at the feet of the Lord that day by the lake.
“The Lord is with me to the end.
Lord your love endures forever,
never forsake the work of your hands.”

Amen
 

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist affirms, 'When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.'   Speak of your own experience
when you were in need of the Lord's help to build up your spiritual vigor.

2.  David pleads with God, 'Forsake not the work of your hands.'  As a child 
of God, tell of how you can expect the Lord to love you forever unconditionally.



1 comment:

  1. J Kim2:48 PM

    Indeed, the Lord loves me unconditionally. I am his child. A wayward one at that. I have come to know that He provides a divine guidepost at every juncture I need it.

    Many Asian cultures just celebrated Lunar New Year this week... welcoming in the "Year of the (water) Tiger." It is a wonderful time of wishing others good fortune, or good luck in the new year. I especially lean on it as a second chance to begin my resolutions -- those ones that I have already broken since January first (!) Intertwined with Lunar New Year... is often an element of the zodiac. The Chinese zodiac is a system that assigns an animal and corresponding personality traits to each year... in a repeated 12-year cycle. That is the simple explanation; it can get much more complicated, involving elements, time of birth, etc.

    I have a family member who is quite attached to this style of zodiac, reading a person's destiny, and deciding what relationships to pursue based on their year of birth. I can easily fall into this pattern of thinking too, to explain away hard times, or conversely, to be hopeful about auspicious seasons.

    My conscience is pricked and my heart is uneasy when I feel myself wanting to know a little too much, or probing a little too far. In fact, books on Christianity vs. Astrology mention that very problem. God created the stars and formed them in beautiful constellations. But demonic forces have corrupted their meanings by establishing strongholds -- enslaving people with superstitious horoscopes. Every single time I succumb to temptation and read up on my own predictions, I am left feeling terribly troubled.

    When I do wander too far down this dark path, or any wrong road, I only need turn to Holy Scripture. This very day, He sent me Joel 2:13, which says, "Return to the Lord, your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in mercy, and repents of evil." As I read it, I felt such love and care from my Abba Father. He deigned to respond to little ol' me and my desire to return to the right path, trusting only Him

    His word is active, dynamic... and very much the Living Word. Lord, you do not "forsake the work of your hands." (V. 8)

    ReplyDelete