Monday, March 1, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, March 7, 2021


Reflections




“The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul.” 


















This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the law of the Lord, 
first given to the Israelites that day on Mt. Sinai in the 
desert when Moses received God's commandments.
(Exodus 20:1-17)
As the Psalm says, “The law of the Lord is perfect, 
refreshing the soul.”

But more than a set of rules that we cannot hope 
to follow, God’s commandments give us wisdom; 
they ‘rejoice our hearts; they are more desirable 
than gold, sweeter also than honey.’

The Word is the same way; even though we may be 
convicted by the Word, our Savior Lord Jesus came 
to fulfill the law and make us right with the Lord.
And just as the disciples came to believe in the 
scriptures when Jesus was raised, we too know 
Him as the ‘Word made flesh,’ the one who 
perfected the ‘wisdom of God.’

Our Psalmist David shows us that obeying the law 
does not prevent us from being happy.  Instead, 
obeying the Law “brings much reward.”
We may think of statutes as something intended 
to control us or restrict us, but as our psalmist 
explains, the law of the Lord is in fact a source of joy, 
something to be desired, because the law gives us 
wisdom and provides us with something
we can trust.

Today’s Psalm tells us about the joy that is stirred u
in our hearts when we follow the Lord’s commands.
“The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.”
The Word and the statutes endure forever.
They are refreshing to the soul; they enlighten the eye. 
It is through the Word that we know His commandments
and through this Psalm that we know His law is a source 
of refreshment, a source of joy.
His statutes do not bind us, they set us free.  


Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that the ordinances of the Lord are 'sweeter than honey.'   
How can it be that, instead of being harsh, the commandments of the Lord 
are sweet to the taste?  Explain.

2.  Our psalmist says that the commandments of the Lord are a source of joy --
they 'rejoice the heart.'   Tell about how obeying the commandments can be a 
source of joy in your life.



2 comments:

  1. Rudy H4:34 PM

    Psalm 19 simply celebrates the life-giving message of God’s words given to humanity. God is not setting humanity up for failure. God does not give us the commands just so that we might realize how bad we are.

    No, this is what the commands do: revive the soul, bring wisdom to the simple, rejoice the heart, and enlighten the eyes.

    Let’s think of the things that bring us the most joy. If we are in the psalmist’s immediate audience, these may be fine gold and the drippings of the honeycomb. The commands of God are even better. They bring even more possibilities for joy.

    The commands are for the sake of our joy, but they also are to protect us from transgressions. We are given a picture of the good life to pull us toward God. Then we are reminded of the dangers of turning from the commands. When we don’t trust in God’s commands, we will trust in idols. Then sin will dominate our lives, not joy.

    This warning is crucial. But we must remember that God wants our happiness, not our punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim7:10 PM

    Yes, the ordinances of the Lord are "sweeter than honey," but why do they feel so hard? My flesh tempts me into temporary delights and when they wear off, I am easily tempted into another false invitation to contentment. These habits of sin are what I confess... and what I am working on, especially during Lent. They do not lead to sweetness, but they offer easy comforts.

    To experience true sweetness, God's way, I am often required to sacrifice something -- pride, time, money... my plans, my will. I must die to self and let Christ live in me. It's a difficult step to take, but once taken, the sweetness is real and lasting.

    An extended family member of mine had been developing a hardened heart against me. I could feel it and see it in her actions. On my recent birthday, she sent an obligatory and generic text of congratulations. I could have let it be and resigned to letting our relationship slide. Instead, in the moment, the Holy Spirit nudged me to reach out to her. On MY birthday, reach out to HER... and text back some compliments. My worldly heart didn't want to and I asked myself, "Why must I always be the humble one?" Well, my little surrender ended up leading to a larger triumph. Although she did not text me back, I felt PEACE. Later in the day, this family member corralled her entire brood to call me and sing a Happy Birthday song. I know this sounds like the smallest example, but they have not done that for me in years. And later that week, I enjoyed hours of FaceTime with this side of the family. The Lord can take our little effort to listen to Him, and multiply it into a wonderful blessing.

    His laws are a blueprint for a happy life. I have experienced it many times. If only I would follow His ways more often. At the very least, I am learning to tuck away my fleshly impulses and desires, in order to win the greater victory. How sweet it is!

    ReplyDelete