Monday, March 8, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, March 14, 2021


Reflections
 
Psalm 137:  1-2, 3, 4-5, 6  (Read)


“How could we sing a song of the Lord in a foreign land?”


This Sunday's Psalm is a prayer of the Jewish people 
in exile in Babylon.  As Sunday's 1st reading tells us,
the Lord became angry with the people of Judah
because of their many infidelities.  (2 Chronicles 36:14-16)
And when they mocked the messenger of God, 
God allowed them to be carried off to Babylon as slaves. 
“By the rivers of Babylon, we sat mourning and weeping.” 

But God's chosen people could not forget Jerusalem
and the covenant God had made with them.  “If I forget 

you Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.  May my tongue 
stick to my palate  if I do not remember you.”   And more 
important, God did not forget them. 

It is the same way with us.  We sin against God and He 

allows us to be carried off into a kind of self imposed exile,
where we separate ourselves from Him for a time. 

“How could we sing a song of the Lord in a foreign land?”
When our hearts are hardened by sin, how can we sing 

a song of the Lord?   When we are in the darkness because 
we prefer the darkness, how can we sing a song of the Lord? 
When we are separated from the Lord and indulging in things 

of the world, how can we sing a song of the Lord? 
It is only when we are in the light,  then can we sing a song 

of the Lord.

As Sunday’s 2nd reading tells us, “Even when we are dead in our 

transgressions, God brings us to life with Christ.” (Ephesians 2:5)

And the Gospel reminds us in a powerful way that although we 

are a wicked people who hate the light, God sent His Son not to 
condemn us, but to save us and lead us into the light. (John 3: 17-21)
That is how we free ourselves from our own spiritual exile. 
It is only when we are in the light, when we become a light unto 

the world, then can we sing a song of the Lord!

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  This Sunday's Psalm Response is,
 "Let my tongue be silenced, 

if I ever forget you!"  When you are separated from God because of sin, 
have you noticed how it becomes difficult to praise and worship Him?  
In a way your tongue becomes silenced for a time.  Explain how you 
can get your voice back and start again singing a song of the Lord.

2.  Our psalmist tells us that it was difficult for the Jewish people captive 

in Babylon to sing the songs of Zion in a foreign land. Is it sometimes 
difficult for you to speak of your faith in the company of non-believers?    
If you are being persecuted by a world that does not acknowledge you 
as one of its own, how do you overcome your reticence and speak boldly 
of your faith?



3 comments:

  1. Rudy H12:23 PM

    Psalm 137 is a psalm of longing; it was written during Israel’s captivity in Babylon, and it is first and foremost a lament. It is a lament for the disobedience that led to Israel’s captivity in Babylon, the city of sin. It is a lament that the city of Zion, once so glorious and beautiful, has been taken away from the Israelites because they rejected God to pursue sinful passions. It is a lament for our sin and a plea for God’s help. It is, on a grand scale, an epic hymn for every Christian who longs for their true home. It is our song of sin, repentance, and salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim7:31 PM

    In the darkness, it's easy to slip into sin. And pile some more sins on top of that. Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I... enjoy one drink too many? Overindulge in rich sweets? Spend my monthly budget chasing the fountain of youth in skincare? Or why shouldn't I laugh with a friend at the folly of another? Fuel a growing jealousy inside my heart... or yes, even wish a little ill-will toward that person, the one who always seems at odds with me?

    When I am steeped in the stench of sin, I can't smell it. Similarly, when I am walking in darkness, I don't know the way back. I may try to seek Jesus, but I am easily distracted. Or, I go through the motions of the "right things' but with gritted teeth and a sense of duty. Not out of a loving heart.

    The first step out of the darkness is to acknowledge that I am there. And that I don't want to stay there. Receiving the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist help to clean my slate and re-orient me. Sometimes, when I am really resistant, (or when the pandemic prevented me from receiving the Sacraments in person) I have turned to other measures, such as an examination of conscience, praying the rosary, or journaling my true-blue thoughts. One of the most effective of these "other measures" is doing something for someone else -- usually, it's intercessory prayer. By taking the steps to earnestly pray for another person in need, my heart is softened. The scales fall off my eyes and the light comes shining through. I can give true praise and thanksgiving for the way God has blessed me.

    As I walk into the brightness, I can instantly recognize my selfishness, self-centeredness, and pride. Although ashamed, I am also drawn ever more to Jesus, the Healer of my body, mind, spirit, and soul.

    I delight in "looking up" to the cross to see Him, just as the Israelites had to "look up" to the bronze serpent to be healed. As we know, it's not the image itself that heals, but the belief in God who heals us when we gaze upon Him. I can then regain my voice to sing a song of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could we sing a song of the Lord in a foreign land ?

    Our psalmist, anonymous, describes his sorrow, weeping over the bitterness of captivity. He sat and wept by the rivers of Babylon whenever his captors asked and demanded songs of joy and songs of Zion. He felt his tongue cling to the roof of his mouth.
    Here the psalmist is crying out for judgement against his tormentors, asking God to tear the Babylonians down to destruction

    The truth to be known, the Jewish people repeatedly sinned against God without fully realizing it.
    Being God’s chosen people, they took for granted their privilege with pride. They kept sinning. God kept calling them to return to him and gave them the chance to repent while they were in exile. God is gracious; he never forgot his own chosen people.

    It is the same way with us; even though we may not be part of the chosen Jewish people, I can see God is dealing with us in the same way he did with the Israelites. It is because he loves us equally and Jesus made us children of God. When I read this Psalm I see their sorrow and bitterness in physical exile. They missed God’s provision and care. Their hearts returned to God through their experience of exile in Babylon.

    I recall the days when my heart was hardened by my sins against God. I had a similar experience after God put me in spiritual and physical exile. At that time I felt condemned, suffered, wandered around in the wilderness and lost the way.
    Who were my tormentors? Who sent me to Babylon in exile as a slave? I asked myself, " Am I into self-imposed exile where I separate myself from God? Was it my own doing, sinning constantly even though I heard his
    voice?

    Even now I feel frustrated I could not worship God with all my heart lately. What am I supposed to do in order to be set free from my own spiritual wandering? I miss those days when I used to worship Him with sincerity
    and zeal.
    I tried to find comfort by asking people around me to pray for me. My faith was superficial.
    I was not seeking a true personal relationship with God.
    In those days I felt my tongue was tied whenever I tried to worship God. I was not truly repentant. I took advantage of his mercy and grace towards us.

    On the other hand I believed St Paul’s teaching,
    “You will be saved by believing and proclaiming Jesus as Lord.” Therefore I believe I am saved.
    But I missed the point like the Israelites until God put me in spiritual exile.
    My spiritual life was lukewarm. The devil crept in. I was satisfied with it for a long time without having realized what I was missing - a true relationship with God. With my own effort it won’t work at all. I need his forgiveness, strength, and wisdom to live differently.

    I need to be restored to a right relationship with Jesus with the help of the Holy Spirit to convict me whenever I fall into a trap of thinking I am saved without any true repentance. God brings me life through Jesus who helps me to see a real hope of heaven. But helplessly I still indulge in things of this world. I commit the same sins repeatedly.
    But I have a merciful God. If I truly repent and go to Confession asking for forgiveness of my sins, I know God forgives and forgets my sins, washes my sins clean and never remembers them.

    Jesus is always present with me even though he seems to be in the distance. As he restores me to a right relationship with God, he gives my voice back.
    What a joy to have a right relationship with him! I can rejoice, praising and worshipping Him.
    I have learned a valuable lesson through experiencing
    spiritual exile like the Israelites experienced. Thank you Lord for being able to sing joyful songs again with help of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete