Monday, June 24, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, June 30, 2019

Reflections 


Psalm 16: 1-2, 5, 7, 8, 9-10, 11  (Read)

“With the Lord at my right hand,
I shall never be shaken.”















This psalm of David speaks to us 
about a belief in an everlasting life 
with God. “Lord, my allotted portion 
and my cup, you have made 
my destiny secure.”

The distress that afflicts us from time
to time when we feel separated from God
is overcome – “For you will not abandon 
my soul to the netherworld, nor let your 
faithful servant see the pit.”

We can understand the Psalm's
verses as a prophecy of the resurrection 
of Christ, when we will see God’s Son 
seated at the right hand of the Father.
“You will show me the path to life,
abounding joy in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.”

These same verses are quoted by 
St Peter in his speech to the Israelites 
at Pentecost. (Acts 2:25-28)
St Peter uses the Psalm 
as a prophecy that Jesus is to be 
raised up and will sit at the right 
hand of the Father. For us these are 
encouraging words, with a promise 
that we too can look forward to being 
lifted up and spending the rest of our 
days in the presence of the Lord.

The Lord promises, if we are his faithful 
servants, that we will not have to see the pit.
He will not abandon us. As David says, 
this is enough to make our hearts glad 
and our souls rejoice.  
“Therefore my heart is glad and my soul 
rejoices; my body, too, abides in confidence.” 

Our burdens are made light; 
His yoke is easy, and that gladdens the heart 
and strengthens the body. 

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalmist speaks confidently about his belief in an everlasting life with God.   
Speak of how you are confident about being raised up with the Lord and spending  
eternity in His presence.

2.  David says, "My Lord, you are my allotted portion and my cup."  Explain what 
these words mean to you.



1 comment:

  1. Our Psalmist, David, affirms the joy in his belief in an everlasting life with God and in companionship with God in heaven after death.

    This psalm is a prophecy of the resurrection of Christ. Jesus has covered our sins and atoned for our sins by his death, and He is raised and seated at the right hand of the Father. We can enjoy these benefits now and forever.

    Lord, you are my allotted portion and my cup. That’s why you made my lot secure. I can benefit from this privilege with joy. I have a delightful inheritance because of you. I have found the secret joy. Now I can feel joy in spite of my deepest sorrow because of your presence within me. And so I will experience joy in my life based on God , not the circumstances surrounding me.

    As a believer I can be assured that God will not forsake me even when death comes upon me and I die. I am hoping confidently that I will be raised with Jesus. Jesus will bring me to eternal life to live with Him forever in heaven since I know the truth that David speaks.

    Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices: I will not be shaken because the Lord will fill me with joy in his presence with eternal pleasure at his right hand.
    What more could I want ? Lord in you I take refuge.

    ReplyDelete