Monday, April 1, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, April 7, 2019

Reflections 



“When the Lord brought back the captives
of Zion, we were like men dreaming.” 

 












What God did for the Israelites, he does 
also for us.  The Jews were liberated from 
being captives of the wicked Babylonians, 
and we are liberated from the captivity of sin 
by that same God who sent his Son to save us. 
Just as the woman in the Gospel this Sunday 
is saved from being stoned to death, Jesus 
redeems all of us from our wicked ways.

God takes pleasure in restoring us, as the 
psalmist says, and his pleasure is reflected 
by the joy in our hearts when we are reconciled 
with Him. “Our mouths [are] filled with laughter; 
our tongues [sing] with joy.” 

It may seem like we are dreaming when we 
make our own Exodus from our past lives of 
disobedience.  The future may be filled with 
a few dry stream beds, but if we are diligent 
and sow the seeds of repentance, we will be 
rewarded with a bountiful harvest and as the 
psalmist says, “We will reap with cries of joy.” 

We join with our psalmist who affirms,
“The Lord has done great things for us.” 
There is good news for us too -- 
we have the Messiah to lead us in our own 
spiritual Exodus, away from slavery to sin, 
and put us under the gentle yoke of Christ 
our Savior.

This is a message of hope; it is a calling that 
is future oriented. Isaiah, in Sunday's first 
reading, says the Lord is doing something 
new. (Isaiah 43:19)  St Paul, in the second 
reading, says that faith will lead us to an
“upward calling” in Christ. (Philippians 3:14)

For a better future we must do our part --
we must sow the seeds in order to gain 
repentance.  “Those who sow in tears shall 
reap rejoicing.”  Jesus did not condemn the 
woman caught in adultery – she is given a 
chance to repent and to pass from death 
to life. (John 8:10-11)  In the same way 
a seed dies and produces a harvest – 
“Those who go forth weeping, carrying 
sacks of seed, will return with cries of joy, 
carrying their bundled sheaves.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist speaks of the the Jewish captives being set free and
brought back from Babylon.  Tell of your own liberation this Lenten season 
from being captive to sin.

2.  The psalm contains a message of hope for us all -- that we shall reap 
joyfully in the days ahead.  Share how you expect to be raised up with the 
Lord as we approach our Easter celebration.



2 comments:

  1. Rudy H5:56 PM

    This psalm is considered a Psalm of Trust—the confidence that God will more than overcome the worshiper's problems by his abundant grace.
    One of the lessons we learn from the life of Jesus that we are to pattern our lives after is that suffering must precede glory. As Paul told us, “Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God." (Acts 14:22)

    In this life, we are taught that we should look for success and the opportunity to advance our own comfort. Yet the Lord calls us to live for the benefit of others and to look to heaven where we will experience the rest and comfort we long for. This psalm reminds us to pray that God will prosper our efforts on his behalf, making them fruitful for his purposes and to his honor.

    We Pray today that God will help us to go about our day sowing in tears, bearing the precious seed of the Gospel to those around us. We pray also that God will allow us to come home with shouts of joy as we bring our sheaves with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. I sat back , thinking about what this verse implies to us. The thought came across my mind about Jesus' sufferings and death and resurrection. In midst of hardship and sorrowful death He taught me I can still find hope and joy. Because in his name I am liberated from the captivity of my sins, thanks to Jesus’ cross. And so I must learn patiently because He takes pleasure in restoring me spiritually.

    Meanwhile in order to reap with songs of joy I search my heart, examine my conscience, repent, and confess my sins. Jesus gives me a chance to repent during the season of Lent. In his mercy I am reconciled with God and freed from my own spiritual exile and released from slavery to sin. Without condemning my grievous sins, He absolutely forgives me. Even if I felt He seems be far away due to my spiritual deafness, he is patient with me in his mercy and love
    and in a personal way.

    Sometimes I have experienced Jesus' comfort through a confusing situation —
    whenever I was filled with bitterness or anger and harboring grudge against the people around me, He stirs my heart to love them, forgive those who have injured me so badly. How grateful I am for his comfort and mercy. I felt him strengthen my faith.

    I will gaze with my eyes on Jesus. Through his sufferings and sacrifice for our Redemption He won Victory, Resurrection. I can reap with songs of joy because He sowed the seed of suffering on the Cross. He paid the penalty for us.
    In Him, through Him, with Him, I expect to raised up with our Lord. I trust in Him.
    Alleluia! Alleluia !

    ReplyDelete