Monday, September 5, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, September 11, 2016

Reflections

Psalm 51: 3-4, 12-13, 17, 19  (Read)


“A clean heart create for me, O God.”

 












We are shown in the Psalm that although David was 
chosen by God to be king, even David sins gravely.  
David is sincerely sorry for having committed adultery 
and murder, two grievous sinful acts which separated 
him from our loving Father.  He pleads with the Lord, 
"Have mercy on me, God, in your goodness; in your 
abundant compassion blot out my offense."  We are 
reminded here that no sin is too big for God to forgive.  

Just as Moses trusted God to relent in His wrath against 
the Israelites (Exodus 32:11), we too trust in the Lord 
to be far more forgiving than we ourselves are capable of. 
And when we do fall into deep patterns of sin, we must 
realize that our wrongdoing, ultimately, is a rebellion 
against the Lord himself.  David’s sins, like our own, 
are offensive to God first and foremost –we are all born 
of a sinful nature

David prays words of repentance that recall for us the 
power of the Sacrament of Confession. “A clean heart
create for me, O God; renew within me a steadfast spirit.” 
The Lord is the source of cleanliness and purity of heart. 

God wants to have a close relationship with us, but 
unconfessed sin will always get in the way. We must 
confess our sins openly and sincerely.  Where else can 
we turn when we are separated from God?
Who else has the healing power to cleanse us?
David reminds us that without the Holy Spirit we are 
ruled by the desires of this world. “Cast me not out from 
your presence, and your Holy Spirit take not from me.”

We can almost hear David’s loud cries and see his tears, 
as he offers this prayerful psalm and seeks his own inner 
renewal.  And just as David is profoundly grateful for God's 
compassion, so too St Paul acknowledges God's mercy 
in this Sunday's second reading (1 Timothy 1:13).

When we receive the Sacrament of Confession, we also 
are given an opportunity to be restored in the joy of His 
Salvation, to offer up what is dead within us, so that like 
the prodigal son in the Gospel we can return to the Father 
and again be good witnesses for the Lord. 
“I shall get up and go to my father.” (Luke 15:18)

Once we have regained a solid foundation with God 
the Father, no strong assault from the evil one will 
overcome us.  We can have that very same "steadfast 
spirit" that David asks for and receives from the Lord. 

Amen
 
Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.  Our Psalm is King David's mea culpa, his personal confession to God.   Speak of 
how the verses of the Psalm inspire you to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

2.  Our psalmist pleas with the Lord not to take from him God's Holy Spirit.   Tell of how 
you also rely on the Spirit in your daily life.


3 comments:

  1. Rudy G8:25 PM

    "She will take you to Heaven"
    This is what Fr. Fernando, a healing Priest from
    the Philippines, told me when I jokingly disclosed in Confession my made up concerns about my wife.
    Even though I started out joking, Fr. Fernando was correct. My wife is one of the hardest working women I know. She manages home and work duties with precision. We have been married over 26 years. One son and two cats.
    After my confession was over I thanked God for my wife.
    Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy H8:08 PM

    Most precious lesson in this psalm is the possibility of all sin being effaced, and the high hopes which even a sinful man has a right to cherish. What a prayer these clauses contain to be offered by one who has so sinned! What a marvelous faith in God’s pardoning love, and what a boldness of hope in our own future, they disclose!.

    Create in me a clean heart,O God; i.e. do more than purify me - do more than cleanse me (ver.7); by an act of creative power make in me a new clean heart. Like David, in asking both for a new heart and a new spirit, we request the renovation of our entire mental and moral nature now and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Psalm 51 inspires me a great deal because of God's forgiving and cleansing of David's grave sins of adultery and murder. Because of David's true repentance with a contrite heart, God forgave him. God will also blot out our transgressions no matter how big our sins are if we truly repent of our sins. Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners like us. How merciful our God is!

    In 1 Timothy 1:16 every one who repents will be mercifully treated. I have come to realize how important it is to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation and along with it the joy of Salvation. Our relationship with God will be restored and renewed by confessing our sins. I also realize that God wants our hearts to be right with him. Whenever I commit a sin, like David I will plead for God's mercy.

    Yes, I also rely on the Holy Spirit in my daily life because the Holy Spirit guides me, convicts me, directs me along the right track. Without his leading I will be totally lost. He leads me to God, and His eternal home. No wonder David pleas to God, "Do not take your Holy Spirit from me."

    ReplyDelete