Monday, September 26, 2016

Psalm for October 2, 2016


Reflections


"Oh that today you would hear his voice."



Knowing God's will is hard enough;

discernment is a gift from God.

But even if we are gifted enough to

be able to discern God 's will, can we 
have the courage and conviction

to actually do His will? 



Today more than ever we need to hear 
His voice.  As God the Father said, “This 
is my beloved Son with whom I am well 
pleased; listen to Him.”



In the Gospel, Jesus instructs the disciples

how to do all they have been commanded.  
(Luke 17:10)

As followers of Jesus, we too are to do all that

we are obliged to do.



Doing the will of God must have been difficult 
even for the disciples, hand picked by our Lord 
himself.  How much more so is the will of God 
a challenge for ordinary persons like us?

Even the disciples must have been in awe of 
what Jesus was commanding them to do.



“Harden not your hearts.”

Our spiritual history is full of occasions where 
the faithful were known to have hardened their
hearts and refused to listen to God's voice, 
though they had seen His works, as our psalmist 
mentions.



But after all, He is our God, as the psalm says,

and we are the people He shepherds.


Our job is to kneel before the Lord who made us 
and to carry out His will the best we can.   And 
if we are careful to listen to His voice, He will 
empower us to do His will, just as Jesus 
empowered the disciples to rise up to the 
challenge of the great commission and to 
become ordinary men performing extraordinary

deeds.


Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist encourages us not to harden our hearts if we hear God's voice.   Do you find it difficult sometimes to carry out God's will in your life even if you believe He is speaking to you?   Give an example.



2.  The psalm reminds us that we are like sheep and the Lord is our shepherd.   Are you willing to be just an ordinary sheep among His flock?  If so, what does it mean to you to be shepherded by the Lord?




2 comments:

  1. We prayed before we started on this 3 step move, and continue daily. And, we have definitely been blessed. The sale of our house was a challenge, and happened on the 3rd month of our 3 month listing! After the sale, we found a new place in Temecula on the very first try! We will move in on October 21st, and our youngest son, Brian, is flying out to help us. Thank you God! Our prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes I find it is difficult for me to carry out God's will, even though I know I am one of his people who is shepherded by Him and one of his flock under his care. If I resist his calling me to do his will, without realizing, my heart begins to be hardened. I find myself astray and away from Him.

    If I refuse to surrender to God's will, owing to my comprising with my current situation and my weak determination, this causes me to disregard Him and to not listen to Him.

    As a consequence of this, my heart gets to be hardened and numb toward my sins. I realize that my hardened heart is the result of a series of deeds to disregard God's will. If I keep doing so, I gradually lose will power. The Devil takes a stronghold on me.

    "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." This verse is a warning to us. Right away you have to discern about what causes you to make your heart to be hardened in your life. The psalmist says that people who go astray, they do not know God's ways.

    Let us bow down in worship. He is our great God.

    ReplyDelete