Monday, March 13, 2023

Psalm for Sunday, March 19, 2023

Reflections


Psalm 23:  1-3, 3-4, 5, 6   (Read)

“The Lord is my shepherd.”

We are like sheep, and we look 
to the Good Shepherd to lead us 
beside still waters, and guide us 
along the right paths.  We fear 
no harm, because the Good 
Shepherd is at our side.  
Where else should we turn?

Our Lord restores us when we are 

down, protects us with his rod and 
his staff when we are threatened.  
We lack nothing when we trust in 
the Lord.  We fear nothing, even 
when our lives are at a low point 
spiritually or physically.

Our eyes are opened by our trust in the Lord;
we are led out of the dark valley of sin where 

we did fruitless things in secret.  Like our psalmist 
King David, we are anointed with oil by the Lord,
and we make a covenant with Him.

Our trust in the Lord is rewarded.  He sends His Son 

to save us, and His Spirit to live within us.  Surely 
goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our life.

“I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
The promise that King David speaks of in his final days 

is what Jesus died for.  Jesus reconciles us with the 
Father, and when Jesus is raised up, we too are resurrected.

Having been rescued by our Savior, and now counted 

among His obedient sheep, we are ready to do His will.
We are groomed to enter the Kingdom and to sit at the 

table that God sets for us.  If we believe in Him, we too 
shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.   Our Psalm speaks of the Lord as our Shepherd. Do you believe 

you are one of His sheep?  What does it mean to be counted among His flock?

2.  Our psalmist says that the Lord anoints his head with oil.  Are you one of 

the Lord's anointed?   Describe how the Lord is using you as one of His anointed.



3 comments:

  1. l. Yes I believe I am one of His sheep.

    Because I am one of His sheep, He leads me and guides me on the right track whenever I am off track and I tempted to go my own way sometimes I am rebelling against God.
    Even if I am at the low point of my life spiritually and physically and I am helplessly struggling with human sufferings, pains, diseases and injuries He will be there protecting me and staying by my side
    until he will bring me safely until I reach other side- God’s life. Lord is seen as a caring dependable shepherd. I am one of his sheep. That’s why I fear nothing.
    I must follow him obediently who knows where is the green pastures for restoring my soul and quite water for quenching my thirsty soul.


    2. Yes I am one of the Lord’s anointed.

    I believe He is only hope and security for eternal life.
    I know His spirit lives within me. This is a sign of Lord’s anointment.
    I have confident and trust his words. He comforts me with words of Lord. He protects me from the danger of evil spirits. He reminds me I am belong to him as a daughter of him. I may dwell in the house of Lord worshipping him and praising his glory forever.
    Nothing to fear because his son Jesus died for us
    we will be resurrected as he has promised. His goodness and mercy is forever.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim9:39 AM

    Psalm 23 is an enduring and favorite prayer of mine.

    "The Lord is my shepherd... I shall not want..." (V.1). I am certainly a member of his flock because he knows me, seeks me, protects me, provides for me, and loves me. If I alone am lost and separated, he waits for me. He knows me by name (my soul, my heart's desires, and my weaknesses) and I know his voice.

    One new lesson that spoke to me this week about this well-studied Psalm, involves the concept of The Valley. I used to imagine it as a spiritually dark place that was imposed on me - through the trials God allowed in my life for my greater learning. I thought I had no control over how long I must walk through this difficult and dark time.

    Today, as I read the Psalm and the blog above, it occurs to me that The Valley is also brought on by me --- my sin, my choice to dwell in that sin longer before repenting, and my stubbornness and pride in not wanting to let go of behaviors that keep me there. As the blog reads above, "Our eyes are opened by our trust in the Lord; we are led out of the dark valley of sin where we did fruitless things in secret..."

    For me and my walk with the Lord, this is an "aha moment."

    I now feel that as one of God's anointed, I can shorten my time in that "valley of the shadow of death." (V.4) No matter what circumstances come against me, I can proclaim my faith and joy over the situation. I can choose an eternal perspective on current trials. I have the power to declare that "goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." (V.6)

    As a member of the flock of Jesus, with him as my Good Shepherd, I am anointed for a wonderful life both here on earth and in heaven. It is a matter of perspective and trust. I must allow the Shepherd to flood my dry, sinful places with his life-giving water. Cleanse me. Make me ready and anointed "to dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." (V.6)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan Hammond5:22 PM

    I recall our parents constantly saying in my childhood
    when asked a question "as the Lord leads"...so it hits home as do so many other phrases in Psalm 23.
    I learned to recite it at a very young age and my son was reciting it by heart at 5 years old. It has a
    comforting effect on our inner soul, to be "led to the path of righteousness" is a comfort that the
    Lord is leading us to a righteous life, and when putting our trust in Him, we are comforted "thy rod and
    thy staff - they comfort me.." This speaks volumes about the guidance of our Lord..So powerful, I love this. When the Lord is guiding us, and is with us, protecting us with his rod and his staff...who could be against us? "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies"...embodies the thought of complete protection and blessing by our Lord.

    ReplyDelete