Monday, April 25, 2022

Psalm for Sunday, May 1, 2022

Reflections




“I praise you, Lord, for you raised me up."


This is a Psalm that Jesus himself 
might have prayed, following his 
resurrection: “I praise you, Lord, 
for you raised me up and did not 
let my enemies rejoice over me.”

Our Lord Jesus was raised up 
from the pit by the Father, even 
though He bore the weight of our 
sins.  “Lord you brought me up 
from the netherworld; you let me 
live, from going down to the pit.”

God’s anger over the sins of all men,
that Christ took upon himself, lasted 
but a moment -- “Divine anger lasts 
but a moment; divine favor lasts 
a lifetime.”

The Psalm speaks to us as we take part 
in the joy of Easter. The joy of the resurrection 
comes to us at dawn, after a terrible night, 
as it came to those early followers of Jesus.
“At nightfall, weeping enters in, but with the 
dawn, rejoicing.” And that alone is reason 
enough to change our mourning into dancing.

The Psalm concludes with praise that is 
worthy of the Lamb, and recalls for us the 
voices of the angels that St John speaks of in 
today's second reading from Revelation 5:11-12,
“O Lord, my God, forever will I give you thanks.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection 
  
1.  Our psalmist says that God's anger lasts but a moment, while His favor 
lasts a lifetime.   Give an example of how you have been blessed by God's 
favor after having fallen away for a time.

2.  The Psalm speaks of changing our mourning into dancing.   Tell of how the 
resurrection of our Lord has lifted you up and brought within you a rejoicing of the spirit.



1 comment:

  1. The sorrow and introspection of Lent give way to the joy and victorious living of Easter. The jubilant season lasts 50 days until Pentecost. We can take off our sackcloth and put on garments of praise. My heart was heavy with the trials of my family, but my outlook has brightened.

    Psalm 30 vs. 11-12, "You have turned my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my soul may praise you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

    Christ has triumphed over death. Our suffering on this side of heaven is temporary as we await the joyful news of eternal life. It can be hard to wait... and we can become frustrated during the trial. But the Bible is so full of notes of hope.

    Joshua 1:9 is a verse that has been popping up everywhere for me these days. It reads, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

    Although I may not always FEEL the joy, I know the truth of the joy nearby.

    ReplyDelete