Monday, October 18, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, October 24, 2021


Reflections


Psalm 126: 1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 6   (Read)

“Restore our fortunes, O Lord.”

This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the 
reversal of Israel’s fortune, and return
from exile, which could not have
occurred without God’s intervention.
The psalm's verses reflect praise for 
what the Lord has done.  “The Lord 
has done great things for them.”

The psalm is also a petition asking 
the Lord to look after the future of the
remaining Israelites.  And there is an
expectation that God will guide them 
in achieving prosperity.

“Restore again our fortunes, Lord, 
like the dry stream beds of the Negeb.”  
This calls to mind our first reading from 
Jeremiah, where God promises to lead 
the remnant of Israel to brooks of water,
on a level road, so that none shall
stumble.   (Jeremiah 31:9)   We too are 
looking for that water which restores 
and renews, cleanses us and purifies us, 
that living water which satisfies our
spiritual thirst.

The Psalm also reminds us the truly great thing 
the Lord has done for us is to send his only
begotten Son to be by our side.  Jesus’ presence 
in our lives is a guarantee of a spiritual harvest 
that will lead to our own salvation.  Just as 
Bartimaeus, the blind man in the Gospel, is saved
by his own faith, the Lord promises us a transition 
from a sinful existence to a world of joy.  (Mark 10:52)

The Psalm says it well, “Those who go forth weeping, 
carrying the seed to be sown, shall come back rejoicing,
carrying their sheaves.”  And therein lies a lesson for us – 
to let go of our own baggage, and pick up the Lord’s
burden, because we know his yoke is easy.

Whatever type of spiritual exile may imprison us, Jesus 
shows us a way out.  God is in the business of deliverance.

As the prophet Jeremiah confirms, we go among the blind 
and the lame to the promised land. (Jeremiah 31:8) 
We carry our sacks with us and within those seeds that 
we sow is contained the promise of new life, the reversal 
of whatever misfortune may trouble us.  When the
harvest comes in, we can join with the psalmist and sing, 
"Our mouths are filled with laughter, our tongues sing for joy.”

Amen 

 

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The Psalm alludes to a reversal of spiritual exile that may apply to people like us.  
Tell of how the Lord has brought you back from a time of being distant from Him.

2.  Our psalmist suggests that we carry the seeds of our own salvation even while 
we go forth weeping.  Speak of how your faith has saved you, when you looked 
to the Lord for healing.



4 comments:

  1. Rudy H5:10 PM


    This psalm is a community song of trust and confidence. It proclaims God as the one who brings joy out of sorrow, laughter out of tears, and good out of evil.

    When we are going through a time of deep sorrow, this psalm is a strong medicine for our soul. It carries a powerful message of hope. It tells us that God will turn our sorrow to joy and our tears to laughter. And it even tells us what to do and how to believe that:

    How do we do it? In two steps:

    First of all, let us marvel at how God has helped us in the past (for me personally I always trusted the Lord in any small or big decision I have to make even if the outcome was not what I was hoping. In the long term I always find out that it was for the best)

    And then secondly, trust God to do it again, and I am hundred percent sure that he will never fail us.

    There is a time of sowing and a time of reaping. Perhaps we are in a time of sowing right now. We have to take comfort; our time of reaping will come. This is God’s promise to us

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim8:12 PM

    In my Bible, Psalm 126 is subtitled "A Harvest of Joy." Indeed, in verse 6 we see that "He that goes forth weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him." If we follow God's plan, wait for his timing, and trust in his word, then we can know when and where to sow... and expect fields of great abundance and peace. The instructions are quite simple.

    However, as we follow the Old Testament narrative of God's chosen people, how many times do they stray? Abraham and Sarah rush the plan for a promised son, creating strife between the descendants of Isaac and Ishmael to this day. Even after the miraculous escape from Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea, Moses cannot satisfy the groaning people. The manna in the desert is not enough and while waiting for Moses to come down the mountain with God's law, the people decide to create a golden calf to worship instead. Fast forward to the times of Jeremiah, and we see that only a remnant of Israel still awaited God's word. The majority had fallen away into unfaithfulness, during and even before the Assyrian exile -- idolatry, immorality, and lack of knowledge leading to more apostasy.

    Modern day examples are no different. In my own life, even if I know of the folly of our spiritual ancestors, how many times do I despise the waiting room of God? I pace the floors, wring my hands, and bother the heavens with petitions to rush the plan to fit my schedule. I can sometimes worship the wrong things: physical beauty and youth, material riches, and status. I then cry tears of frustration when the Lord allows suffering in my life. A child's lost way or a difficult situation that only a divine hand can solve, bring me back to my knees in prayer.

    I can then detach from the worldly distractions a little. I can be reminded that I have the right seed for sowing... and God will restore me, as he restores his faithful remnant. For some reason, the Lord keeps giving me the following verse from another prophet, Micah. Micah 6:8 says, "He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Again, clear instructions on how to reap joy and walk away from exile and back into the arms of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our psalmist says that the Lord has done great things for us and we will be filled with joy. The Israelites celebrate the exiles’ return from captivity. They believe God restores their fortunes at the same time as God’s power releases them from captive sins. They believe God’s ability to restore their life is beyond their understanding. That’s why they taste the joy.

    By my faith, Jesus, who is living water, cleanses me and purifies me and quenches my spiritual thirst. That’s why I believe I am healed physically and spiritually. He restores me and makes me whole whenever I plead for his mercy and for healing through faith in Him.

    And also our psalm says that those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy
    and return carrying sheaves with them.
    What does it mean? Spiritual exile may imprison me but Jesus shows me a way out. He is merciful and so I can live and be saved.
    Within those seeds we sow is the promise of new life for me - Salvation. Even if I undergo hardship and trial in my life, He restores me with a new life - Everlasting life. I can enjoy eternity with Him in heaven.

    And so my mouth is filled with the joy of Salvation. No doubt, God’s great harvest of joy is coming my way. I know my time of sorrow and grief and tragedy will end soon. I wait for God’s deliverance patiently. My tongue will be filled with songs of joy again.
    Praise God, all my soul. He grants us a taste of His saving grace while on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minn M1:05 PM


    When the Covid pandemic first began and businesses were closing down including churches, I felt a slight distance from our Lord. Although I would still pray, our only option regarding church was to watch the mass virtually. I did not feel a connection nor was I engaged in the service. We were not able to receive communion and this was the case for months. Sometimes I even found myself not wanting to watch the mass as It didn’t feel the same.

    When churches were starting to open up again my husband and I went back. Although it felt good to be back in God’s house, it was still different. Everyone was distant and afraid to be near each other. God’s house should be a place where we feel secure and safe.

    Things are slowly moving back to normal. It feels good to be back to church in person and be able to participate in the mass. Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete