Monday, September 20, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, September 26, 2021


Reflections

Psalm 19: 8, 10, 12-13, 14   (Read)

“The precepts of the Lord give joy 
to the heart.”

This Sunday's Psalm celebrates the Law of
the Lord, first given to Moses on Mt Sinai. 
But it also tells us what God’s Law reveals
about our Creator, and about the joy that is
stirred up in our hearts when we follow the
Lord’s commands.

If I am to imitate the divine life, everything
I need to know is found in God’s Law.  Our
psalmist David shows me that the Law of
Moses is an instruction manual for life.  
I learn that obeying the Law does not prevent
me from being happy or limit me in a negative way.  
Instead, obeying the Law brings much reward.
 
I am kept from willful sins by the Law.  Obey the Law
and I will not be controlled by sin and instead will be
able to walk as a God fearing person.  I may think
of statutes as something intended to control me or
restrict me.   But as our psalmist explains, the Law
of the Lord does the opposite – it is in fact a source
of joy, something to be desired.  This is so because
the Law gives me wisdom and provides me with
something I can trust.

“His ordinances are true, all of them just.”
Far more than a set of rules that I cannot hope to follow,
God’s commandments refresh my soul.  They give
‘wisdom to the simple,’ they are more 'desirable than
gold, sweeter also than honey.'

It is through the inspired Word of God that I know His
commandments and through this Psalm that I know
His Law is a source of refreshment, a source of joy.  
His statutes do not bind me, they set me free.

The reading of the Law should not make me sad, but
be a source of rejoicing.   Give me ears to hear!

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm Response this Sunday is, "The precepts of the Lord
give joy to the heart."   Do you believe that the Lord's commandments
can be a source of joy, instead of a set of rules and restrictions?   Explain.

2.  Our psalmist says that the 'decree of the Lord gives wisdom to the simple.' 
Describe how God's Law inspires you to celebrate God's perfection and helps
you to imitate the divine life.



1 comment:

  1. J Kim5:23 PM

    One of the hallmarks of civilized society is man's adherence to law, so as to preserve peace and order. Would God's laws be any less? He is a perfect Creator who has laid out his precepts for the benefit of his creations. If we consider the Ten Commandments, in particular, we see that the first three involve our relationship with God, while the remaining seven involve our relationship with our neighbor. His rules are the manual for a joyful and successful life.

    Alas, we all fall short and experience failure, sadness, disappointment, despair, and every negative emotion possible.

    In both the first reading and the Gospel for Sunday Mass, we see a group of people almost jealous of the virtuous behavior of another. In Numbers, Joshua and others are troubled that two men, Eldad and Mehad are prophesying in the camp, without Moses. They wish for Moses to do something or at least be present. Moses, being full of the Spirit, is able to say, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the people of the Lord were prophets! Would that the Lord might bestow his spirit on them all!" (Numbers 11:29) He is able to see clearly and be secure in his own gifts while not feeling threatened by the way God uses others.

    In the Gospel, the apostles are quite disturbed by a man, not one of them, casting out demons in Jesus' name. They wish for Jesus to do something about him, but of course He knows that "...no man who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of me..." (Mark 9:39). He can rest in confidence that God the Father has a higher plan. The apostles, on the other hand, work themselves into a fit and are possibly quite envious that this "outsider" has been gifted with a talent they were unable to do a few verses prior, with the boy of a mute spirit. (Mark 9:17-18).

    The above are two concrete examples of how abiding in the precepts of the Lord would have preserved peace and joy in one's heart, rather than confusion and covetousness.

    Indeed, as Psalm 19:8 says, "...the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;" God's laws are not for his advantage in any way, but rather for OUR good. Following them brings wisdom, joy, and contentment to OUR lives, this side of heaven.

    ReplyDelete