Monday, May 31, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, June 6, 2021


Reflections



“I will take the cup of salvation 
and call on the name of the Lord.”

This saving cup
is the same cup that 
we  share each time 
we participate 
in the Liturgy of 
the Eucharist.
It is the cup of 
the blood that 
Jesus shed 
to mark the 
new covenant 
with people of faith.

We  are saved by Christ; 
He is the divine victim.
Our psalmist asks,
“How can I repay the Lord 
for all the good He has done 
for me?”

The Psalm affirms, “Precious 
in the eyes of the Lord 
is the death of his faithful ones.”
What could be more costly 
than the death of God’s only son?
Yet God consented to the death 
of his Son because of his love 
for us;
God did not spare Him.
Once again we ask,
“How can I repay the Lord 
for all the good He has done 
for me?”

Certainly we are all obliged 
to pay our vows to the Lord,
to give Him praise, 
to obey his commandments,
and to do his will.  As the Psalm says,
“My vows to the Lord I will pay 
in the presence of all his people.” 

We are to praise Him and worship Him 
in the presence of the community.   
It is not just between us and God.    
We are part of a community, and
we are to acknowledge Him 
and bow down to Him publicly.   
And we are to proclaim the Gospel!

Our psalmist says, “O Lord, I am 
your servant, you have loosed 
my bonds.”
We are made free 
by becoming the Lord's servant.
That is how it is when 
we follow his commandments
and do his will.
It is not something that binds us.
Rather, it is something 
that sets us free.
We take delight 
in serving the Lord.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmists asks, "How can I repay the Lord for all the good He has done for me?"  Explain how you would answer this question.

2.  When you "take the cup of salvation," do you receive our Lord's saving power? Say how you respond when you eat His body and drink His blood.




1 comment:

  1. 1. By loving Him and my neighbor, Giving up my life to do His will and to think of others as more important than myself.

    2. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for giving up your life to set me free. I love you Lord.

    ReplyDelete