Monday, February 15, 2021

Psalm for Sunday, February 21, 2021


Reflections



“Good and upright is the Lord, 
He shows sinners the way.”



This Sunday's Psalm is 
a prayer for forgiveness 
and guidance, a good 
way to begin the season 
of Lent.  Our psalmist 
David recalls the covenant 
the Lord made with Noah 
(Genesis 9: 8-15)and David 
writes, “Remember your 
compassion and love, 
O Lord, for they are ages old.”

Later in the psalm David affirms, 
“Good and upright is the Lord, 
thus He shows sinners the way.”  
Who else could lead us out of the pit 
of our sins but God’s Son, the righteous 
one who suffered for us, the unrighteous 
ones, as St Peter reminds us in this 
Sunday's second reading. 
(1 Peter 3:18-22)  

Peter says Baptism doesn’t remove 
the dirt from our bodies; it doesn’t 
remove our sinful nature.  But it does 
allow us to receive the Holy Spirit 
within us, because without the Spirit, 
we are powerless against the devil.

We are blessed to have a God who 
does not disregard us.  On the contrary, 
He is a caring, compassionate God, 
willing to humble himself to share in 
our humanity, so that we might come 
to share in His divinity.  Who else 
would have such regard for sinners, 
for believers who disobey him?  
It is He who encourages us when our 
tongues confess – “The Lord guides the 
humble rightly, and teaches the humble 
His way.”

In this Sunday's Gospel, our Lord Jesus 
tells us what we are to do as we prepare 
for the most important season of the year,  
“Repent and believe in the Gospel.”  (Mark 1:15)
And in response we join with our psalmist 
and say, “You are God my Savior.”

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection  

1.  Our Psalm speaks of being taught by the Lord ("Teach me your paths; guide me 

in your truth and teach me; He teaches the humble His way.")   Are you a good student of the Lord?  Tell about what you have learned or are learning from the Lord.

2.  Our psalmist says, "The Lord shows sinners the way."  As we enter the season 

of Lent, we could all use some guidance and help as we strive for repentance and 
to be bolder in our faith.  Explain what you will do during Lent to become a more 
obedient Christian and a better witness for your faith.




2 comments:

  1. Rudy H1:19 PM

    Psalm 25, Verses 4 through 7 could be repeated everyday of a person’s life. “Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.”

    The Bible clearly teaches that mankind cannot find its way alone. All people need a guide, a teacher to show them the way of truth. Guidance and instruction have been given to mankind through the written Word of God. Through the principles and truths of the Old and New Testament scriptures, we can be brought to a realization of their sin and their need for Jesus Christ.

    The Word of God also provides teaching on how to live a Christian life. It is a source of hope, faith, and love. When we begin to grow spiritually, God will help us to mature. God will begin to change us spiritually. As the Lord works within us, His Children, we become stronger, happier, and more effective in carrying out the Lord’s work.

    David wrote in verse 8, “Good and upright is the Lord. Therefore He instructs sinners in the way.” God will discipline and show sinners the direction they must go to be saved. God will provide assistance and instruction on how to live and how to find His way. The lesson is very clear. If a person is searching for the right path, that person will find God’s way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim9:40 AM

    "Repent and believe in the Gospel" were the words the deacon used, as he dusted my forehead with ashes. The Ash Wednesday ritual to kick off Lent imitates the very words of Jesus as he begins his public ministry. These are the words Jesus verbalizes in this week's Gospel, even before calling his first disciples Simon and Andrew by the Sea of Galilee.

    If Jesus spoke these very words, I might want to pay attention. "Repent"... even defined by secular Merriam-Webster, says, "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life." Lent is the season to recognize unhealthy and sinful patterns and try to change them for the better. Matthew Kelly of Dynamic Catholic points out that, "It's not what you give up, but who you become."

    I am filled with a newfound excitement for Lent. This year, I don't wish to focus on the sacrifice as much as self-discovery. I will be dedicating some time each morning to a guided study of Scripture, an understanding that "discipline" is a gift I give myself, and that I can move toward self-awareness with the Holy Spirit, as my guide.

    I firmly believe that I will encounter what my soul hungers for... and be able to identify and hopefully shed the sinful patterns that have led me down the paths of anxiety, overconsumption, and selfishness.

    I confess that I never used to look forward to Lent, because I only focused on the "prayer, fasting, and almsgiving." These are important tenets of the season, but rather difficult to embrace at times. This year, I will focus on my personal growth toward Jesus and "believing" in His Gospel promises for me -- the second part of His opening statement. In this way, the "prayer, fasting, and almsgiving" will be a natural reaction to my walk with Him, instead of an imposed expectation (which is how I used to view it.)

    God willing, I will be emboldened in my faith and more obedient, as fruits of spending more time with Him.

    ReplyDelete