Monday, December 14, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, December 20, 2020

Reflections

 

Psalm 89:  2-3, 4-5, 27-29   (Read)

" I have made a covenant with my chosen one."


This Sunday's Psalm sings about God’s  
promises to Israel and God's covenant 
with David.  "I have made a covenant 
with my chosen one."  That same divine 

selection is celebrated in Sunday's  
first reading that tells the story of how David 
was taken from pasturing sheep to become Israel’s commander .  (2 Samuel 7:8)


Our psalmist quotes the Lord, “I have sworn to 

David my servant: Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”

And how does this young shepherd boy rise to 

greatness in Israel? He succeeds because he has 
found favor with God, and God will be the source of his 
strength.  This is the same divine strength that St Paul 
tells us is available to each of us, if we believe and 

have faith. (Romans 16:25)

But it isn’t a one way street with the Lord. David is 

to show us that we must give glory to God.  He cries out,
“You are my Father, my God, the Rock, my Savior.”

Mary also finds favor with God and is anointed to be 

the Blessed Mother of our Lord Jesus.  She too responds
by giving glory to God in this week’s Gospel.  (Luke 1:38)

The Lord’s covenant with David stands firm, and it is 

through God’s promise to David that the Messiah is 
born of Mary. “Forever, I will maintain my love for David;
my covenant with him stands firm.” That promise 

to David is fulfilled in the birth of our Savior and for that 
we too must give glory to God.

Amen

 

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  David is to call out to the Lord, 'You are my father, my God, the Rock, my savior.' 

We too are inspired to cry out to God in a similar way. Tell of the times when you 
have felt like crying out to God in worship and praise.

2.  Our Psalm response is, 'Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.'  One reason 
to sing of the Lord's goodness is because His promises are trustworthy.  Describe how you have relied on the promises of the Lord in your journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment