Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, November 8, 2020


Reflections

Psalm 63:  2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8   (Read)

“My soul is thirsting for you, 
O Lord my God.”

This prayer of longing was written 
at a time when David was in the 
desert, a place where physical thirst 
was all around him, and the earth 
was parched, lifeless and without 
water.  But David is writing also 
about a spiritual thirst that 
overwhelms him and reminds him 
of the emptiness of life without God. 

David meditates on those happier moments 
when he was close to the Lord, 
when his soul was satisfied as with the riches 
of a banquet, and when he took shelter 
in the shadow of the wings of God.

We too go through times of spiritual deprivation
when we are away from God and indulge in 
sinful practices that separate us from Him.  
At those times, like a penitent sinner, we experience 
our deepest longing for the love of the Lord, and 
we seek out His loving embrace.  As our psalmist 
says, at times like that our soul clings fast to the Lord.   
We bless Him, we glorify Him, we praise Him.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist seeks the Lord because his soul thirsts for Him.   
Give an example of a time when you have thirsted for God's 
presence and blessing in your life.

2.  The Psalm speaks of gazing toward the Lord in the sanctuary.
Tell of a time when you have gazed at the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament 
Chapel of your parish and how you could see His power and His glory.



1 comment:

  1. J Kim9:06 PM

    "O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you..." are the opening words of Psalm 63. As water is essential to our physical, human life, so God is essential to our spirit life. I depend on His infusions of love, mercy, peace, strength, comfort, and wisdom to have a thriving and contented soul.

    My heart is parched without God's goodness. I long for him to fill me up so that "my cup runneth over." (Psalm 23)

    How can I be sure to have a steady supply of living water? I would say there are at least three main sources in my life: the Word of God, the Eucharist, and heartfelt prayer. Access is always there, but in all candor, my ability to tap into it may fluctuate, depending on the day and circumstance.

    Adoration and spending time in front of the Blessed Sacrament is another powerful way to be filled and re-filled. The last time I found myself literally in front of Jesus, I received a message on the importance of meditation -- quietly pondering a passage of Scripture or a teaching of our Lord. I hope to incorporate more meditation time into my spiritual walk and in so doing, experience holy waters flowing upon me. I wish to be revived.

    ReplyDelete