Monday, May 11, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, May 17, 2020


Reflections

Psalm 66: 1-3, 4-5, 6-7, 16, 20   (Read)


“Say to God, “How tremendous are your deeds!”


The Psalm celebrates the awesome power of God, manifest in “His tremendous deeds among the children 

of Adam.” Our psalmist recalls the dividing of the Red Sea, which delivered Israel from the Egyptians, by the favor 
of God.  That same awesome power 
that split the Red Sea became available to the early apostles of the Church, as they went about healing and doing signs and wonders.

Where does that power come from to heal 

the lame and drive out unclean spirits?   
It comes from the Holy Spirit, who accomplishes 
in each of us a spiritual resurrection.


No wonder those early believers in Samaria 
were eager to have St Peter and St John lay 
hands on them so they could receive the Holy 
Spirit (Sunday's 1st reading, Acts 8: 14,17)
In response, they cry out to God with joy, as our 
psalmist says, “Let all the earth cry out to God 
with joy.”

We too cannot help but sing praise to God 

when we feel His presence within us.  In Sunday's 
Gospel (John 14:16-18) our Savior promises that 
He will not leave us spiritual orphans.  Rather, 
He assures us that we are in Him and He is in us.
We proclaim His glorious praise, and we on earth 

worship Him.  We want all the earth to know what 
God has done for us; as the Psalm says, we shout 
joyfully to God and proclaim His glorious praise.

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection  

 1.  The Psalm urges us to say to God, "How tremendous are your deeds!" 
Speak of the Lord's awesome works in your life and how you go about 

praising Him.

2.  Our psalmist blesses God who "refused me not."  Tell of how 
your petitions 

and prayers have been answered by the Lord.
 



2 comments:

  1. 1) In these times, I’ve found it easy to view each day as anticlimactic and essentially the same. Motivation for both school and exercising are low, but I find the strength from God to continue pushing every day. His Strength for me comes from the idea that I’m still blessed beyond measure. I have a roof over my head and food to eat. Taking these blessings for granted would be a big waste in my eyes. I need to at least thank God every day, and work my hardest for Him. A saying I like is “Audience of One” in all I do, and do not (excuse my french) half-ass anything.

    2) My junior yr of high school, my ankle was torn up after landing on someone else’s foot, and I was out for the season. My future basketball career was very uncertain, and I had nowhere to go but prayer. Every day. I was angry, frustrated, sad, and in actual physical pain. Indeed, however, the Lord “refused me not,” and through his Work, I was able to accomplish my dream of playing college ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim7:07 PM

    From the beginning words of this Psalm, “Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth...” I am energized, strengthened, and encouraged. I wish to dance, jump up and down, and exclaim how powerful is our Lord from a mountaintop.
    And indeed, the verse does say, “all the earth...” meaning Jews, Gentiles, every man — created with a body, soul and spirit! Several places in the Bible instruct us to “Make a joyful noise” including Psalm 95, Psalm 98, Psalm 149, for example; it is God’s design that we desire to praise him.

    The flip side of all of this joy for me is... humility. Our God is not to be outdone in his abundant provision and goodness. Therefore, I am humbled that the Creator of the Universe cares about little ol’ me and my needs.

    Countless times, I have asked for his divine intervention to soften my heart when it’s been hardened against a situation or a person. I have asked for fortitude to continue with projects that I know are right in his eyes, but that require supernatural love and patience in the flesh. The Lord saved my father after a recent heart attack; He protected my family as we traveled during the pandemic. God has favored my husband with a strong career and job security. My children are each finding their footing and slowly but surely, their calling as well. Even as I enter middle-age, I am still able to celebrate two mothers on Mother’s Day — my own dear “Mommy” along with my mother-in-law as well.

    Big or small, I believe there are daily victories to celebrate and for which to praise God! I am more aware of them as I become more in tune with the Holy Spirit... as our readings call us to be. The Spirit gives me a fresh set of eyes and ears to understand how blessed I am.
    Even for that little realization today, I praise God with my whole heart. “How tremendous are his deeds!”

    ReplyDelete