Monday, April 13, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, April 19, 2020

Reflections 



“I was hard pressed and was falling,
but the Lord came to my help.”

 












Once again we visit this powerful psalm of praise
and thanksgiving. This time the verses stress 
the enduring love that God has for us – so much so 
that despite the part we played in crucifying His son, 
God went ahead and carried out His plan to save us.
“God’s mercy endures forever.”

“I was hard pressed and falling, but the Lord came 
to my help.” This verse could be about us.   Are we 
any different from our psalmist, any less desperate 
or in need of the Lord's healing power and presence 
in our lives? 

“My strength and my courage is the Lord.” He is 
present to us, just as He was in those early days of the 
church described in today's 1st reading (Acts 2: 42-47),
and in the Gospel (John 20: 19-31). We may not have 
the awesome experience of physically putting our hand 
in the Lord’s side and our fingers into the nail marks 
on His hand, but He is with us.

We are victorious over death. The Lord’s deliverance 
is cause for joy.  Just when we were down, the Lord raises 
us up. “I was hard pressed and falling, but the Lord has 
been my Savior.” The joyful shout of victory is heard.

We are on firm ground after all – Christ has become our
cornerstone, as our psalmist reminds us. Christ has become 
a source of strength for us, despite His apparent weakness 
that day on the cross, when He died a shameful death. 

The Lord is present to us when we are frightened as He 
was present to those frightened disciples in the upper room. 
Who would have been more hard pressed and falling
than they were before Jesus appeared to them and blessed 
them and extended His peace to them? That same source of 
strength and might the psalmist speaks of is available to us; 
all we have to do is open our hearts and receive His saving grace.
 
As Peter tells us in today's 2nd reading (1 Peter 1: 3-9), Christ’s 
resurrection gives us a living hope and a powerful faith. This is 
cause for rejoicing: “By the Lord has this been done; it is 
wonderful in our eyes. This is the day the Lord has made.”
Along with the disciples and the early church, “Let us be glad 
and rejoice in it.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.   Our psalmist was 'hard pressed and falling,' but affirms that the Lord 
has been his savior.   Describe how you have been saved by the Lord and 
given strength and courage by Him.

2.  The Psalm declares, "The joyful shout of victory is heard."   Speak of what 
makes you joyful during this Easter season, and tell of how you have shouted 
and rejoiced in the Lord's resurrection.



3 comments:

  1. Marie6:21 PM

    1. I have had an experience of God's Saving touch on me back in 1974 when I was depressed and angry. When I called out to Him He filled me with His saving love. Every day I experience His saving love especially when I start to have negative thoughts, or I start to be critical to someone the Holy Spirit within me convicts me of my sinfulness and I stop immediately and confess and He fills me with His love and presence.. He saves me over and over and I love experiencing His presence and love for me. I live alone but I am never alone.

    2. During this shut-in I have never been so happy and full of joy in His presence. I hardly ever put the news on but concentrate on my prayer time in the morning praising and worshipping our incredible God, reading the readings of the day and some days journaling while all the time talking to the Lord and conversing with Him and our Lady and the Communion of Saints. My day consists of prayer, reading scripture, eating right (nutritious food}, exercise, found a great 20 minute work-out for seniors on the internet, going outside with my mask on and walking for two miles, making sure I get enough rest, and last but not least doing something for someone else, whether it's a call to a sick person and praying with them or giving alms for someone in need through the internet. I attend Mass daily and have spiritual communion on live stream. I pray the rosary when walking, praying for a stop to the virus and all the intentions I have. I have been doing the Divine Mercy Novena on Zoom with a group of people I know at the 3 o'clock hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our psalmist reminds us that whenever we are hard pressed and falling or in need of the Lord's healing power and presence in our lives, He comes to our help. And He is present to us. Surely He is my strength and my courage even if I did not have the physical experience to touch his wounds and the nail marks in his side. I can sense that He is with me spiritually.

    He is our risen Lord and won the victory over death for us. He is the source of my strength. That’s why I have all the reason for shouts of joys and rejoicing. He gives new hope in my life. When looking for his absolution for my sins I feel once again my sins wiped away and I feel renewed. His abundant grace and blessing over me makes me glad.
    Alleluia, Alleluia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let Israel say, “His mercy endures for ever... Let the house of Aaron say, His mercy endures for ever... Let those who fear the Lord say, “his mercy endures for ever.” (Verses 2-4). This powerful Psalm begins with a reminder of the Lord’s great mercy for all people, for all time — the nation of Israel, the priests, and anyone, anywhere who believes in the one, true God. How fitting for this week of Divine Mercy!

    Our Lord told St. Faustina “I desire that during these nine days you bring souls to the fountain of My Mercy, that they may draw... strength and refreshment and whatever grace they need in the hardships of life, and especially at the hour of death.” (Diary, 1209).

    Through devotions such as Divine Mercy and the words of this Psalm, we are reminded that we partake in Jesus’ victory over sin and death. We do not wallow in fear or focus too long on our own failures, The Lord’s mercy runs deeper than our gravest sin!

    With thanksgiving and praise, I can walk through the Easter season knowing that God’s loyal and steadfast love will never be taken from me; it lasts for all time, no matter what trial I am facing.

    During quarantine, I have had some parental challenges regarding my college-aged children. However, I have noticed lately that I have a stronger, calmer heart in the way I deal with them. I so fully trust in God’s mercy on my family and on me that I do not despair or spiral down into anxiety.

    Just like the Psalmist, who says “I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me...” (v.13) I too, can rest in God’s strength, knowing His shield is there for me. I know that His plans are the best plans, causing me to shout with victory, even in advance.


    ReplyDelete