Monday, October 10, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, October 16, 2016

Reflections
Psalm 121: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8  (Read)


“Our help is from the Lord.”

















The Psalm is a prayer for believers

when we are uncertain, when we face

the dangers of this world, or when we

encounter obstacles on our journey of

faith and works.



Where does our help come from?

As our psalmist says, it comes from the Lord.

Just as Moses raised up his hands and

obtained God's intervention on the side

of Israel (Exodus 17:11-12), so too 
the psalm calls for us to look upward 
for God’s help, “I lift up my eyes toward 
the mountains.” And our psalmist reminds us, 
“The Lord is your guardian.” We are obliged 
to pray, “May He not suffer your foot to slip.”



We may rest assured that our Lord sends us
his Holy Spirit to safeguard us, and we give 
thanks that our protector is a guard who never 
falls asleep at his post, nor is He ever off duty. 
“May He slumber not who guards you, indeed 
He neither slumbers nor sleeps.”



When we do battle with evil or injustice,

who can we turn to? Are we likely to overcome

the powers and principalities that threaten us

along the road by depending on our puny 
defenses? Not so, the psalm reminds us. 
Without the Lord as our shade, we are subject 
to the sun's harmful rays and the moon's evil 
influences. But if we trust in the Lord, 
“The Lord will guard you from all evil.”



But how do we get God’s attention when we 
need  His help? Jesus tells us how in the Gospel –

we are to pray with persistence, without becoming

weary, like the widow who obtains a just decision

from the unwilling judge. (Luke 18:1-5)

And as the Psalm concludes, if our faith is strong,
and we trust in the Lord, “The Lord will guard our 
coming and going, both now and forever.”



Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that the Lord is beside you at your right hand.   

Speak of what it is that reassures you of the Lord's protection on your journey.

2.  The Psalm is about the power of prayer and of trust in the Lord.  Give an example 

of how you have persisted in prayer and obtained the Lord's help in overcoming difficulty.



3 comments:

  1. When we have it too good for too long, we become complacent, or worse, we take credit for it. Like we are in charge, and have complete control over our lives. The elections are only 2 weeks away. And, even though most of the population in the world would trade places with us in a second, we need to get down on our knees and pray that our Country picks the best candidate in November. May God continue to Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The psalmist in Psalm 121 assures us that our life is protected by an all powerful God. He always watches over us, day and night without ceasing. He will not let your foot slip and keeps us from all harm.

    What are the assurances of God's love for us? If we keep praying to God with persistence, we will get help from the Lord. That's what Jesus says in the Gospel. (Luke 18-5)
    I am sure that if I trust in the Lord, the Lord will guard me from all evil because He watches over my life and others as well, if we pray persistently.

    I sometimes apply Jesus' teaching in order to overcome hardship and to get my prayers answered, because I believe my help comes from the Lord. Recently, my son-in-law emailed us that his cervical neck pain, which had radiated to his arms, is 90% gone. He thanks us for praying for him. Fortunately, this experience shows us how persistent prayers can do wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J Kim1:49 PM

    Persistent prayer is the story of my life -- I really would not be here without it. I pray on my knees, on the floor, in my bed, in the car, truly whenever I remember to do so throughout the day. My petitions range from short term goals, such as my children doing well on a test in school, to longer term ones for the healing of a friend with cancer. Rarely does the Lord's timing coincide with mine -- He often makes me wait, which is where the persistence comes in handy. And His timing is perfect.

    The power of praying for others, intercessory prayer, is especially on my mind these days. I am reminded of James 5:16, which says, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

    I am a member of a praying group of Sisters in Christ.. and when we pray together, people see miracles. A young woman, the niece of one of our members, suffered recently from a blood clot the size of a hot dog. We all prayed fervently for this lady, and against the odds shared by medical professionals, she has made a full recovery. We have prayed for a friend's husband with leukemia -- offering up novenas and prayer warrior-like support for their family. He, too, made the kind of recovery that had doctors baffled. God has been so good to us.

    Most recently, I have felt the father of lies creep into my family and try to convince us of our bleak futures. It has been greatly discouraging. I am re-learning the Prayer of St. Michael, as a powerful tool in the spiritual battles I face. I recite it daily -- sometimes several times a day.
    "St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O prince of the heavenly hosts, by the power of God, cast into hell Satan, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls."

    Prayer can take many forms and each reaches our Lord's heart in an instant. I have to believe that persistence and thanking Him in advance for His blessings, must carry some extra favor.

    ReplyDelete