Monday, August 3, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, August 9, 2020


Reflections 



“I will hear what God proclaims;
glory dwelling in our land.”

Our psalmist knows the importance 
of listening carefully for the voice 
of the Lord.  For as Elijah discovers 
in Sunday’s 1st reading, God is not 
in the wind, nor the earthquake, 
nor the fire. Rather, God appears 
to Elijah as a tiny whispering sound.  
(1 Kings 19)
We too must listen attentively for 
the voice of the Lord and be careful 
not to miss His presence among us. 

How do we seek Him out?
Where do we find the Lord?
We find Him when we read and study
his Word, his living Word,
as fresh now as it was thousands
of years ago. For His Word is 
as penetrating as a two edged sword, 
able to separate bone from marrow.
His Word convicts us, 
pointing the way to salvation.
As our psalmist says, 
“Near indeed is His salvation 
for those who fear Him.”

Our psalmist prepares the way of the Lord --
“Truth shall spring out of the earth,”
(when the Messiah is born).
The goodness and blessings 
that the psalmist speaks about 
are fulfilled in Christ. 
For our Savior is truly, 
“Glory dwelling in our land.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist affirms that he will hear what God proclaims.  Tell of how you listen 
for the voice of the Lord and what He is saying to you.

2.  The Psalm proclaims that truth shall spring out of the earth and there will be 'glory 
dwelling in our land.'   Speak of how our Lord appears before you and how He is 
present to you.


2 comments:

  1. "I will hear what God proclaims; glory dwelling in our land.”

    Our psalmist assures me, when I listen attentively for the voice of the Lord by reading and studying his living words, I will feel his presence among us.
    For his words are as sharp as a two edged sword because his word is pointing and guiding me to eternal salvation by showing me his unfailing love.

    He revives me, bringing me back to spiritual life and restores me again. He promises peace to his people so that His glory may dwell in our land. He forgives my sins.

    Instead of showing anger toward me, God gives us Messiah, Jesus Christ. He knows what is good so that our land will yield its harvest. I experience his love and faithfulness. I believe His faithfulness is forever.

    Yes, His glory dwells in our land; I will hear what God proclaims through his whispering, living Words. Sometimes His presence is in the gentle spirit of joy and peace and tender touch of his love.
    I give him glory for restoring love and joy for God. Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie6:59 PM

    Thank you Barry. Listening has been my challenge since my husband Deacon Ken died. I am getting better. Listening for that tiny whispering sound in those I am talking to and hearing the voice of the Lord in all my sisters and brothers gets me out of myself and into their shoes. It's freeing for me.
    In Jesus' love, "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!" Luke 12:49

    ReplyDelete