Monday, August 24, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, August 30, 2020


Reflections

Psalm 63:  2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9  (Read)


“My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God."


This prayer of longing was written at a time 
when David was in the desert, a place where physical thirst was all around him, and the earth was parched, lifeless and without water.  
But David is writing also about a spiritual thirst that overwhelms him and reminds him of the emptiness of life without God.

David meditates on those happier moments 
when he was close to the Lord, when his soul was satisfied as with the riches of a banquet, and when he took shelter 
in the shadow of the wings of God.


We too go through times of spiritual deprivation
when we are away from God and indulge in 

sinful practices that separate us from Him.  
At those times, like a penitent sinner, we experience 
our deepest longing for the love of the Lord, and 
we seek out His loving embrace.  As our psalmist 
says, at times like that our soul clings fast to the Lord.   
We bless Him, we glorify Him, we praise Him.

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist seeks the Lord because his soul thirsts for Him.   
Give an example of a time when you have thirsted for God's 
presence and blessing in your life.

2.  The Psalm speaks of gazing toward the Lord in the sanctuary.
Tell of a time when you have gazed at the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament 

Chapel of your parish and how you could see His power and His glory.



1 comment:

  1. J Kim7:11 PM

    Ever since the pandemic began, I have enjoyed exploring a world of Catholic Churches, each streaming their own versions of Mass. On the one hand, I have delighted in experiencing different styles of sermons in locations throughout the globe, at the click of a button. On the other hand, I have felt the distance of spiritual Communion, which does not replace the real presence of Christ. While I have started going back to Mass in person, and even Adoration, on occasion, it's not yet a regular Sunday commitment. I thirst for Him...

    This week, I was blessed to accompany a dear friend for a private meeting with a priest with a healing ministry. I had just hosted extended family members and was feeling physically and emotionally depleted. I know that family gatherings should feel like love but I could not help recounting the episodes of feeling dismissed and unappreciated.

    This interesting priest emphasized the value of meditation. He guided me to place myself in Christ's presence and become aware of my entire body... beginning with my toes, grounded to the earth. And working my way up to my physical and spiritual heart... and finally my head -- gazing upon Him -- not even reciting prayers, but just focusing on Jesus being near.

    I felt overcome with love and the gift of His deigning to come so close to me.

    Additionally, I felt empowered to try to forgive the family members who hurt me. The message I kept receiving was to show mercy and forgive those who wronged me to the point where I pray for their blessing. Ha! Not at all something I can do in my own strength. I felt the whispered words of "show mercy... and mercy shall be shown to you in abundance."

    To win in spiritual terms, might look like losing in worldly measures. It might come across as weakness. But I have the wealth of Christ's word in front of me -- this week's Gospel says that, "Whoever would save his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 16:25. Why does God's way always have to be so difficult? I don't always understand it, but experience has taught me that when I do listen, I gain peace. And I can know that my reward will come...

    God is my vindicator.

    ReplyDelete