Monday, August 21, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, August 27, 2017


Reflections 

Psalm 138: 1-2, 2-3, 6, 8   (Read)

“Lord, do not forsake the work of your hands.”

Our psalmist David composed this prayer of a 
grateful heart. “I will give thanks to you, O Lord, 
with all my heart.”

David is grateful because his petitions are 
answered by the Lord. “For you have heard the 
words of my mouth.”  The Lord's answers to
our psalmist's prayers have come at a critical
time, a time when David is seeking to build up 
his strength.

David speaks of a divine rescue -- “When I 
cried out, you answered; you strengthened 
my spirit.”  Perhaps we’re all in need of a 
spiritual rescue of the type David describes.

And it isn’t because of any of the psalmist’s virtues
that he obtains salvation. It is a result of God’s loving
fidelity. “Lord, your love is eternal.” Our God does not 
forsake the work of His hands, though as St Paul says
in Sunday's 2nd reading, “Who has given the Lord 
anything that he may be repaid?” (Rom 11:35) 

Unworthy as we are, and though the Lord is exalted,
He watches over us in our lowly state.  And thanks
be to God, His kindness endures forever.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist speaks of a divine rescue when he was in great need of the 

Lord's Providence.  Give an example of when you have cried out to the Lord 
and He has answered your cry.

2.  The Psalm's verses deal with an age old mystery--the Lord is exalted, 

yet the lowly He sees.   How do you reconcile the apparent contradiction between 
God's heavenly dwelling and His concern for us lowly humans?


 

2 comments:

  1. "Lord, do not forsake the work of your hands."
    God will never abandon the lowly ones like us. He created us, cares for us - His creatures. He has a compassionate heart toward us. He will never refuse us if we cry out our petitions to Him as long as our prayers will fit in His plan. He knows our needs.

    Our Lord answered King David’s heartfelt prayer. It is a result of God’s loving faithfulness. In return, David gives God thanksgiving and praise. Yes, He is worthy to receive our praise and thanksgiving.

    As for me, He preserves my life in the midst of hardship and defends me against the grip of the devil’s hand when I am spiritually oppressed.

    I pray for my daughters and their families and the difficulties they face in their life. I and my husband pray for them, because I know when one or two pray together,
    Jesus is in our midst. I am grateful if my petitions are answered. Otherwise I keep crying out persistently again and again until He answers my prayer.

    I have learned I should thank God and praise Him whether my prayer is answered or not. I believe God knows what is the best for me. And so God works out His plan for my life. He will bring me through the troubles I face.
    Indeed, You are love and Your kindness endures forever. Thank you Lord. When I called you, You answered me. You are a faithful God. I will exalt your name above all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to "Cry out to the Lord" several times, the most recent is, I am currently in the midst of looking for a job and have asked the Lord for guidance, for the right one to come along. Being that I lack work experience, I was afraid that I would not be as appealing to future employers. I hesitated to apply and didn't know where to begin.
    Recently I was contacted by my former boss, who also was looking for a new job. She was fortunate enough to find one and asked me if I wanted to work with her again. Shortly after, I received a request for an interview for another job. Here I was crying out to the Lord to help me find the right job, and now I have 2 in which I need to decide which is the right one. Thank you Lord for answering my cry.

    ReplyDelete