Monday, August 7, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, August 13, 2017


Reflections

Psalm 85: 9, 10, 11-12, 13-14   (Read)

“I will hear what God proclaims;
glory dwelling in our land.”

Our psalmist knows the importance 
of listening carefully for the voice 
of the Lord.  For as Elijah discovers 
in Sunday’s 1st reading, God is not 
in the wind, nor the earthquake,
nor the fire. Rather, God appears 
to Elijah as a tiny whispering sound.  
(1 Kings 19)
We too must listen attentively for 
the voice of the Lord and be careful 
not to miss His presence among us.

How do we seek Him out?
Where do we find the Lord?
We find Him when we read and study
his Word, his living Word,
as fresh now as it was thousands
of years ago. For His Word is
as penetrating as a two edged sword,
able to separate bone from marrow.
His Word convicts us,
pointing the way to salvation.
As our psalmist says,
“Near indeed is His salvation
for those who fear Him.”

Our psalmist prepares the way of the Lord --
“Truth shall spring out of the earth,”
(when the Messiah is born).
The goodness and blessings
that the psalmist speaks about
are fulfilled in Christ.
For our Savior is truly,
“Glory dwelling in our land.”

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist affirms that he will hear what God proclaims.  Tell of how you listen 
for the voice of the Lord and what He is saying to you.

2.  The Psalm proclaims that truth shall spring out of the earth and there will be 'glory 
dwelling in our land.'   Speak of how our Lord appears before you and how He is 
present to you.


1 comment:

  1. I will hear what God proclaims! I think I have to train myself to listen to His voice carefully and attentively because most of the time God speaks to us with a tiny whispering voice.

    I know I will find Him when I read and study His Word because His Word is a living Word and gives us life and leads to our Salvation. What possibly more do I need? He can pour out His unfailing love on me. And I can renew my love for Him.

    The Lord promises peace to His people. His glory may dwell in our land. The Lord will indeed give us what is good. Our land yields its harvest. Glory dwelling in our land, our Savior is born. Christ is the Truth.

    Through the Holy Spirit my personal spiritual life can be revived when I pray. At times God speaks through specific Bible scriptures. I don't hear His voice directly, but when I meditate on his Word, I am aware of His presence during my prayer period. When I am fearful due to my wrongdoing, He reminds me that He is the forgiving Father, not the fearsome Father. In this way I hear His voice. I rejoice in the Lord because He is love and He is faithful.

    ReplyDelete