Monday, January 23, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, January 29, 2017

Reflections

Psalm 146: 6-7, 8-9, 9-10  (Read)


"Blessed are the poor in spirit."

The Psalm is about trusting in God,
the one who made us. “Happy those 
whose hope is in the Lord, the maker 
of heaven and earth.”  Why do we 
trust in God and not princes of this 
world?  Because, “He keeps faith 
forever,” and, “He gives food to the 
hungry."  Who among us is not hungry
for a closer relationship with The Lord?

In Sunday's first reading, the prophet 
Zephaniah tells us to “Seek the Lord 
all you humble of the earth.” 
(Zephaniah 2: 3)    
St Paul in our second reading assures 
us, God is not going to call the wise, 
the powerful, or those of noble birth.
Rather, he calls the lowly, the weak, 
to shame the strong. 
(1 Corinthians 1: 26-28)

The message is clear – The Psalm is 
telling us we really need to humble ourselves
if we want to be raised up with Him. 
That may be hard to do if it means we have 
to swallow our pride and put aside worldly 
concerns.  But it we truly want to be set free
from the sins that bind us, then we need to 
repent and bow down before the Lord and 
seek his grace.  Where else are the promises
of our God fulfilled but in the healin
ministry of JesusWho else has the grace 
and the mercy to heal us?

So we can pray this Psalm, not only in honor 
of the heavenly Father, but also in honor of 
Christ, whom God exalted. “The Lord shall 
reign forever, through all generations.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says, "The Lord sets captives free."   In what ways are you captive,
and how has the Lord set you free?

2.  The Psalm proclaims, "The Lord gives sight to the blind."  In what areas of your
life were you not able to see things clearly, and give an example of how the Lord
has enabled you to regain your sight.

 

2 comments:

  1. I felt I was freed up when I felt I could take an early retirement from a government job after 20 years. My wife and I had already spent 3 interesting years with Catholic Relief Services in South America, and felt it was very rewarding. Since then, we went off for 2 years with Habitat For Humanity in Central America, went off on 9 National Disasters with the Red Cross, and just recently finished up with 10 years of being on the Board with Interfaith Community Services in North County, San Diego. A diversified, interesting life, thanks to the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Psalm 146 the psalmist gives the Lord praise because He remains faithful forever, sets prisoners free, and He is the hope and the help of the poor and the afflicted.

    I have come to realize that God's way is to shame the wicked and the proud. I have been arrogant and full of pride. On the other hand I am insecure and have an inferiority complex due to my shortcomings. These sins bind me, and I have been captive by them although I did not realize it.

    I did not praise the Lord with an attitude of gratitude and humility. I did not focus on God, but focused on my problems. I took advantage of His Mercy and forgiveness.

    But through God's grace He made me see how sinful I was and still am. Praising Him and bowing down to Him are the only way to lift me up to the Lord in order to deepen my relationship with Him.

    For that reason I need to humble myself, because Christ says that the poor in Spirit are those who recognize their need for God. And also they become hungry for a closer relationship with Christ. And so God raises up the lowly and the weak, not the powerful and the strong, or those of high birth.

    I finally have come to know this true wisdom. And so I have to put aside worldly desires and concerns
    which hold me captive until now. I have to seek the Lord first and keep faith in Him. I didn't see this clearly before, but thanks to God' grace I have regained my sight.


    ReplyDelete