Monday, January 9, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, January 15, 2017

Reflections

Psalm 40: 2, 4, 7-8, 8-9, 10  (Read)


“He put a new song into my mouth.”


Our psalmist David waits for the Lord,
to reach out to Him, to make God hear
his cry.  We are like that.  We are weak 
on our own; we need the Lord’s strength 
to be delivered from our sinful ways.

As the prophet Isaiah says, God is our
strength. (Isaiah 49:5)   We put our trust
in Him.  Our God is an awesome God.
“Many shall look on [our God] in awe
and trust in the Lord.”  We are called 
to be God's holy people, as St Paul 
tells us. (1 Corinthians 1:2)

Our psalmist says, “He put a new song 
into my mouth.”  In response we sing a 
new song unto the Lord.  For us, having 
waited for the Lord, it is no longer the 
same old tune or the same old us.   
We are in fact a new creation, singing out 
the good news.  Where does our joyful 
spirit come from?
It comes from the Lord, and we are called
to share what He has given us and to do
His will.

We are called to follow Christ.
Obedience isn’t an unpleasant chore for us;
instead, as the Psalm tells us,
“To do your will is my delight.”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The Psalm Response this Sunday is, "Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will."  
Speak of how you discern God's will in your life, and tell how you are carrying out 
what God wants you to do. 

2.  Our psalmist David says, "God put a new song into my mouth." 
Have you too 
had a conversion in your walk with the Lord?  Tell of your own experience.



1 comment:

  1. I do not have one, big conversion experience to share, regarding my walk with the Lord. Instead, my life is full of mini-conversions, occurring on a daily basis to re-orient me toward praise and gratitude.

    The "new song in my mouth" is sometimes literally a hymn that I find on the tip of my tongue, such as "How Great Thou Art," or musical refrains from Mass such as "Glory... glory to God in the Highest." They come to me without conscious effort, which is why I know I am supposed to sing them aloud, if possible.

    Sometimes, "the new song in my mouth" is a revelation from a devotional. Lately, the concept of "Abiding in the Word" is at the forefront of the messages. To abide is to live and remain... hold fast and continue with someone or something. The Lord is urging me to spend more time alone with Him. I know that such times with God will develop my heart to pray and to praise more, which in turn gives me power to claim victory over the enemy. Everyday.

    ReplyDelete