Monday, July 4, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, July 10, 2016


Reflections

Psalm 19: 8, 9, 10, 11 (Read)

“Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.”

God’s statutes refresh the soul;
they give ‘wisdom to the simple;’
they ‘rejoice the heart;' they are 
more ‘desirable than gold,
sweeter also than honey.’

“The law of the Lord is perfect,
refreshing the soul.”  The Psalm
speaks to us of the joy that is
stirred up in our hearts when we
follow the Lord’s commands.

Our Savior Jesus Christ came to fulfill
the law and make us right with the Lord.
If we are to imitate the divine life,
everything we need to know is found
in God’s Law. Obeying the Law brings
much reward.

We are kept from willful sins by the Law.
Obey the Law and we will be able to walk
as God fearing people.   As our psalmist
explains, the Law of the Lord is in fact a
source of joy, something to be desired,
because the Law gives us wisdom and
provides us with something we can trust.

It is through the inspired Word of God that
we know His commandments and through
this Psalm that we know His Law is a source
of refreshment, a source of joy.   His statutes
do not bind us, they set us free.

The reading of the Law should not
make us sad, but be a source of rejoicing.
Give us ears to hear!

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm response this Sunday is, "Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life."   
Tell of how God's commandments are for you uplifting and nourishing.

2.  Our psalmist says that God's ordinances are for him 'sweeter than honey.' 
Explain what this verse means to you. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Tony C6:56 PM

    Amen. Amen I say to you, the Spirit of the Lord is pumping life into my veins 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The psalmist David says that the law of the Lord is perfect, His precepts are right. His commands are radiant, giving light to the eyes, and His ordinances are altogether righteous.

    Yes, indeed, His words are spirit and life. I would stumble without His words which have been a guiding light to my path. His words are like a mirror which reflects my hidden sins and sinful behavior. His words lead me to my destination -- Heaven.

    The Lord's commandments alert me to danger and keep me from sinning. His commands convict me and lead me to confess my wrongdoing.

    The words of God draw me close to Him. That's why they are life giving and sweeter than honey. If I keep His commandments, I will be rewarded with everlasting life.

    The Lord is my Rock, my redeemer. Thank you for giving us the Law of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete