Monday, July 18, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, July 24, 2016


Reflections





“I will give thanks to you,

O Lord, with all my heart.”



Our psalmist David composed

this prayer with a grateful heart.

David is grateful because his

petitions are answered by the Lord.

“For you have heard the words

of my mouth.” The Lord's answers

to our psalmist's prayers have come

at a critical time, a time when David

is seeking to build up his strength.



David speaks of a divine rescue --

“When I cried out, you answered;

you strengthened my spirit.”

Perhaps we’re all in need of a spiritual

rescue of the type David describes.



And it isn’t because of any of the

psalmist’s virtues that he obtains 
salvation.   It is a result of God’s 
loving fidelity.  “Lord, your love is 
eternal.”



Our Savior Jesus conveys a similar

teaching in this Sunday's Gospel,

“Ask and you will receive; seek and

you will find; knock and the door

will be opened to you. For everyone

who asks, receives; and the one

who seeks, finds.” (Luke 11:9-10)



Our God does not forsake the work

of His hands, though who has given

the Lord anything that he may be repaid?



Our psalmist reminds us—all God

has to do is stretch out his right hand,

and we will be saved. “You stretch out

your hand, your right hand saves me.”



Unworthy as we are, and though the

Lord is exalted, He watches over us in

our lowly state. And thanks be to God,

His kindness endures forever.



Amen

 Discussion Questions for Reflection
 

1.  Our psalmist affirms that God answers our needs, "Lord, on the day I called for help,
you answered me."   Give an example of how your prayers have been answered at a 

critical time in your life.

 
2.  The Psalm reminds us that although the Lord is exalted, He sees the lowly.   
What is it that gives you confidence that the Lord will not forsake you, even though 
He is exalted and you are among the lowly ones.



2 comments:

  1. 1) Before one of my club basketball games this year against an old teammate/former friend, I found myself extremely stressed out and worried. I wanted to play well and I wanted to win. The day before the game I prayed the rosary, along with a personal prayer. The next day, I had an amazing game, I made the difference, and we won.

    2) The Lord blesses those who stay humble. I am confident that I will be eventually rewarded, because God rewards those who stay patient. I feel like I have stayed patient in all aspects of life, and for this reason I remain confident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony C12:40 PM

    Indeed, indeed brother Barry...for the Lord has heard and answered my cry in a most generous way. Oh, how beautiful to cry to the Lord for that He longs to answer us with the fullest of Joy!! Amen, alleluia.

    ReplyDelete