Monday, October 5, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, October 11, 2020


Reflections




“I shall dwell in the house of the Lord 
all the days of my life.”

It is said that this wonderful prayer 
was written at the end of King David’s 
life. We are with David as he passes 
from death to life on God’s holy 
mountain.

Isaiah says the Lord will provide 
a feast of rich food and choice wines 
on His holy mountain. (Isaiah 25: 6)
Our psalmist tells us, 
“The Lord prepares a table before me;
He anoints my head with oil, 
my cup runneth over.”

Isaiah says that God wipes away our 
tears.  King David tells us, 
“Even though I walk through the valley 
of death, I shall fear no evil,  for you are 
with me.” 
What greater companion 
would we want as we face death?
St Paul agrees  --  his strength comes 
from the Lord, through Jesus, who 
empowers him.   (Philippians 4:13)
This is the same Lord who shepherds 
us in the Psalm.  

“He restores my soul.” 
David sets the tone for what is to come --  
Jesus becomes the good Shepherd, 
leads us beside still waters,
guides us along the right path.
With the Good Shepherd as our guide, 
if we walk with Him, we are sure to be 
among the chosen ones, and we are 
sure to be clothed in the right clothing
when we arrive on God’s holy mountain.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  King David, our psalmist, is confident that he will dwell in God's house for all 
the days of his life.  What draws you to God's heavenly mansions and what gives 
you confidence that you will live there?

2.  The Psalm's verses reassure us that we are God's sheep and our Lord is our 
Good Shepherd.  Are you one of His sheep, and in what way are you gaining repose 
in His pastures?



1 comment:

  1. J Kim8:48 PM

    Psalm 23 is calming, powerful, and comforting as we picture God as our loving Shepherd, the one who would lay down his life for us or leave the flock in search of the wayward one. I love the imagery and the promises to be taken care of. Everlasting life is the ultimate goal for any of us who believe in Jesus. In fact, with the abundance of blessings he pours forth, we will find no fear of evil, even in "the shadow of death."

    The Psalm is beautiful... but it does make me ask myself if I am worthy of these blessings. Do I have assurance that "I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever?"(v.6) Do I live my life in a way that deserves this perpetual blessing?

    Sometimes, I fear that I am not worthy. In the Gospel, we read about the wedding guest who shows up at the banquet without the proper clothes. He is then thrown out of the celebration "into the darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 22:13) How horrible if I am not properly attired to meet the Lord!

    I must try my best to give God my complete heart and devotion. I must be saying "yes" to Him everyday. I must be bold and unwavering in my faith for the garment of righteousness to fit me properly. I need to slow down and prioritize my moments with God, which I have forgotten to do lately.

    May the Lord's mercy wash over me so as to tailor my garment to fit me better. I never want to be without his love and protection. I recommit myself to Him. Amen.

    ReplyDelete