Monday, September 28, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, October 4, 2020


Reflections

Psalm 80:  9, 12, 13-14, 15-16, 19-20   (Read)

"O Lord, take care of this vine."  














The Psalm is a prayer to restore the Israelites to God’s vineyard.   
The chosen people have lost God’s protection; God has removed 
the hedge that He put up around them.

“God brought a vine out of Egypt and planted it.”  But what kind 

of fruit did God’s vineyard bear?  The prophet Isaiah says in 
our 1st reading that despite all of God’s efforts, nothing but wild
grapes was produced. (Isaiah 5:2)    And so God broke down the
vineyard’s walls, letting, “The boar strip the vine, and the beast 
feed upon it.” 

There is a message here for all of us who do not bear fruit or 

use our resources wisely.  We could lose God’s protection, 
and we may not be able to defend ourselves from the evil one 
that prowls around like a roaring lion. 

We, like the psalmist, need to beg for God’s mercy.
“Turn again, O Lord of hosts, attend to this vine.”
If we’re not careful, the kingdom will be taken away 

from us, as it was in the Gospel, and given to a people
that will produce its fruit.  (Matthew 21: 43)  

We, like the Israelites, need to be restored.  The Psalm's
verses pray, “Give us new life,  and we will call on your name.”

Where does our hope for revival come from?
It comes from our Savior, sent by the Lord, our cornerstone,

“The son of man whom God himself made strong.”
In Him we are restored. As the Psalm says, “Lord of hosts 

restore us; let your face shine upon us, 
that we may be saved.”

Amen 

 

Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.  The Psalm says, “Lord, take care of this vine; then we will no more withdraw 

from you.  Give us new life, and we will call upon your name.”  Have you noticed 
at times when we stray off His path how the Lord tugs at each of us so that 
we return to His ways.   Give an example from your own experience.

2.  Our psalmist is writing about the scattered people of Israel, but his words may 

apply to each of us in our separation from God.   In what way are you inspired by the 
Psalm's verses to repent and seek renewal?



3 comments:

  1. J Kim3:01 PM

    For the first time ever, I decided to grow tomatoes this summer. I bought them in young plant form and researched how to grow and nurture them. As I re-potted them, I was delighted to feel my "transplants" anchored strongly in the soil with new roots, and to watch them grow larger leaves, and then to flower... and then to see the dying yellow flower petals give way to the tomato fruit! I quickly learned what happened to a branch that didn't stay strongly connected to the main vine or that I cut off too early in the name of pruning. It withers and dies -- with the leaves and good fruit with it.

    In the very same way, we must stay connected to the main vine of Jesus, for sustenance, strength, and stability. To be separated from Him, is to be completely lost with no hope of survival. You cannot replant a broken off branch -- it just won't live. (Or, at least not easily.)

    I wish to bear good and tasty fruit for the Lord. I want my grapes to be sweet, not sour and wild. I wish to stay within the hedge of the Lord's protection. I do not want to experience life without His favor and mercy. In order to maintain the bond with my Ultimate Gardener/Perfect Provider I need to trust Him in all things. I must return to Him in prayer and simply spend more time with Him.

    Our earthly lives will always feel busy and full of distractions. But as the second reading this week instructs us, we need to keep our minds on 8 things -- whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, gracious, excellent, and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8) What clear directions on how to feel Godly peace! I am sure if I followed this verse with obedience, I would feel calmer, without anxiety, and renewed in my relationship with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Psalm 80 our psalmist reminds us of hope for restoration through repentance and our reconciliation with God.

    Concerning God’s vineyard, it is the house of Israel that belongs to God.
    I imagine the owner of the vineyard himself puts in fertile, well-cleared soil , cultivating it with great care and pain, and so He expects good fruit. But in spite of his great efforts, nothing but wild, sour grapes is produced.

    Like the Israelites I might be doomed to lose God’s protection, because God expects to see me bear good fruit. What a disappointment God must have felt !

    I relate my own gardening experience to the owner of the vineyard. When my own vegetables produced worm-eaten, disfigured leaves, I was mad and disappointed. So without regret I threw half of them away immediately.

    On the contrary, our God is merciful and forgiving. I have come to understand God’s mind toward human beings. He plants us in his grace. There were many times I have strayed off his path and lost my way without knowing what to do. But whenever I wander around and run off, he calls me back because he knows I could bear fruit for his kingdom and he knows I need nourishment under his special care.

    I know I need his spirit within me for revival and renewal. One thing for sure -- I do not wish to be separated from Him. I turn to him for his mercy and call upon Him,
    “Restore me and make your face shine upon me so that I may be saved.”

    Fortunately God's grace helps me see my sins. Through His grace I have hope for my salvation. He encourages me to bear good fruit for the sake of the Kingdom of God. Finally I now realize that repentance comes first before restoration. I need to turn away from sin and turn to God in order to receive his forgiveness. In this way I can experience his mercy and forgiveness along with the joy of salvation. I thank God for showing me the way!


    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely and speaks volumes about spiritual renewal and restoration, so as to not forfeit God's precious protection and guidance.

    ReplyDelete