Monday, November 18, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, November 24, 2019

Reflections 


 Psalm 122: 1-2, 3-4, 4-5   (Read)

“We will go up to the house of the Lord.”


 The Psalm is about a pilgrimage to the holy 
 city of Jerusalem. “Let us go to the house 
 of the Lord.” And for us it may also be about 
 a spiritual journey that we must embark 
 upon if we are to enter the Lord’s kingdom
 and be present to the King of Kings.

For us the way is clear – we have only to 
follow God’s beloved son, our Savior.
For just as God chose David to be the 
shepherd for his chosen people (2 Samuel 5:2),
so God chose his son Jesus to lead us to 
redemption. And as St Paul says, the Father 
saw to it that we would be transferred to the
kingdom of his beloved Son. (Colossians 1:13,14)

The gate is narrow, but as the psalmist says, 
“And now our feet are standing within your 
gates, Jerusalem.” Now we too have a share 
in Christ’s inheritance.

And what draws us to make the journey 
through the narrow gate? We seek to be with 
the Lord, just as did St Dismas, the thief who
was crucified with Jesus on Calvary. 
Sunday’s Gospel quotes St Dismas
when he says, “Jesus, remember me when you 
come into your kingdom.” 
The Lord replies, “Today you will be with me
in Paradise.” (Luke 23:42-43)

This is our goal, too – to complete that pilgrimage 
the psalmist speaks about, to reach that 
holy city where are the “thrones of justice, the 
thrones of the house of David.”

Jerusalem in the Psalm symbolizes for us 
the end of our journey, being present with the Lord.
This is what God has planned for his people.

Amen

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm speaks of a journey to the Lord's kingdom.   What progress are you
making along the way on your own  journey to the Lord's holy city?

2.  The psalmist mentions that he has set foot within the gates of Jerusalem.
Describe your decision to walk the walk and go through the narrow gate that leads
to redemption and a share in our Lord's inheritance.


2 comments:

  1. I am eager to enter the Lord’s Kingdom, I am on my spiritual journey to walk the walk to where God is present in the house of the Lord - Jerusalem.
    I praise the name of God according to the statutes given to Israel. I worship Him.

    There the thrones for judgement stand, where my feet are standing in his gates. I follow our Savior, Jesus who leads me to redemption. There will be peace and security within me. God will draw me to make my journey complete through the narrow gate. For that I worship and praise Him along with God’s people because He is merciful and full of love.

    I lift up my prayer, having interceded for those in need. Accordingly I enjoy God’s presence. I go up to the house of the Lord to worship. That is my delight. I find peace with others through faith in God. And I also find real peace which the world can not provide.

    According to our Psalmist, in order to share in our Lord’s inheritance I am willing to step into the presence of God and seek his prosperity, justice and protection. Most of all I seek peace with God at the end of my journey, wishing that He will invite me to come into his kingdom. I hear Him say, "Today you will be with me in Paradise."


    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope I am walking toward Jerusalem, which means “City of Peace.” I must say the road is convoluted, full of detours and unforeseen dangers. I can be on the expressway toward heaven, feeling joyful, and then be sideswiped by my daughter having a terrible day. Her negativity might rub off on me, turning my direction down the wrong path. I am reminded here of traffic signs that say Do Not Enter or Wrong Way. In my efforts to guide my adult children down the correct and easiest path, I am susceptible to trying a different way. A new thought. A doubt that Jesus loves me. A sinking feeling that life is just too hard.

    I need reminders along the way. Powerful passages that speak to me... or preachers and priests who have more knowledge, who are more mature in their faith than I am.

    I usually don’t like social media, but praise God for when it’s used for good! After a tough day, my daughter shared with me this one message from TV evangelist Joel Osteen’s page: Against a plain blue background, the big white words read:

    God Uses
    Disappointments,
    Delays, Setbacks,
    Detours to Move us
    INTO OUR PURPOSE.

    How brilliant are these simple words... and how helpful the image. God is so big and mighty that even if I think I am on a wrong road or detour, He can still create a shortcut for me to either get back on track or to lead me to something even greater, along the way.

    So, I am journeying toward the Lord’s holy city but I rest assured that my path will be different from others. And God is not only okay with it, He is the one helping me to forge a way toward heavenly peace.

    ReplyDelete