Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, November 10, 2019


Reflections 


“Hear, O Lord a just suit; attend to my outcry.”


 












Each of us may have been unjustly attacked 
at one time or another, as our psalmist 
David was, and as were the seven brothers 
in Maccabees.  (2 Maccabees 7: 1-2, 9-14)
When that happens, where do we hide? 
Where do we take refuge? 

Who else but the Lord stands ready to 
console us, protect us, “In the shadow of 
His wings?” Our psalmist reminds us that 
without God we can do nothing, and it is He 
who empowers us to prevail. 

And so we trust God, as David does;
we call upon Him, and we cling to Him. 
We are not hesitant to call upon His name, 
“I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God; 
incline your ear to me; hear my word.” 
For His part, God keeps us as the "apple of 
His eye."  He attends to our outcry;
He hearkens to our prayers, so long as 
our lips are without deceit.

And when we face death, whose face do we 
want to see?  It is the Lord's -- “Let me see 
your face; when I awake, let me be filled 
with your presence.” Who else has promised 
us eternal life? 

We must not be afraid to trust God for the 
outcome.  All we have to do is to keep to His 
paths, as our psalmist says.  Our feet do not falter. 
We call upon the Lord.   As was true for David, 
we shall be content in His presence. 

Amen 


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that his steps have kept to the Lord's paths, 
his feet have not faltered.   Explain how you have 'walked the walk' 
in the pathways of the Lord.

2.  The Psalm speaks of how we shall be content in God's presence.   
Tell of what it means to you to look forward to the day when you shall 
behold God's face.




1 comment:

  1. J Kim8:10 AM

    I believe we can “behold God’s face” and experience glimpses of heaven’s glory, even this side of the cross. (It doesn’t necessarily have to be after our passing from this life.)

    In this Psalm, David is praying for deliverance from persecutors; we sense an urgent danger to his physical and spiritual safety. He reminds the Lord (not that the Almighty needs reminding...) that his “steps have held fast to your paths, (his) feet have not slipped.” (V.5). And then, there is my favorite v.8: “Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.” In bold and persevering faith, David is not only asking, but believing for protection from his enemies and eternal salvation someday.

    In some translations, we learn that the “apple” of one’s eye could be referring to one’s pupil. Even we know how to protect our pupils from the elements — sunlight, wind, heat, etc. How much more does God know how to protect us from harm? And resting in the “shadow of his wings” is such a natural image — even the birds know instinctively to cover their young with their wings.

    However, the truth is that God still allows some pain and vulnerabilities in our lives, if it will form us into better, humble servants. Sometimes, He protects us by guiding us through the valleys, not only by helping us avoid them.

    As much as I dislike admitting it, it is in those very difficult moments, when I can experience a taste of heaven. I might be on my knees, tearfully begging the Lord to remove an obstacle, but instead, He meets me there. He sends His Spirit to wash over me in calm, comfort, and supernatural strength, even if I don’t know where to place my foot for the next step. Or sometimes, it’s just a bird outside my window on a cold day. I am reminded that God provides for even these little creatures as Matthew 6:26 says, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?“

    In my deepest hurts, the Lord’s presence is most obvious. And I enjoy beholding His face, knowing that I only see Him now, as through a dimly lit mirror. (1 Corinthians 13:12). Someday, I will see Him clearly and bask in His glory.


    ReplyDelete