Monday, March 19, 2018

Psalm for Passion Sunday, March 25, 2018


Reflections




“They have pierced my hands 
and my feet.”

David writes this psalm almost 
as though it were planned to be 
part of the Passion of Christ.
It is as though David knew what 
was coming.  The Psalm's theme 
is that the sufferings of the 
righteous man will restore life 
to humanity.

Indeed the Psalm becomes the 
prayer of Christ at the time of His 
crucifixion and speaks of the 
suffering that our Savior 
experienced on our behalf,
“My God, my God, why have 
you abandoned me?”

People are the same today as they 
were back then, when Jesus was being led to the cross.  
We scoff at him; 
we mock him; we wag our heads; 
and hurl insults at him.

Why?  
Because he becomes contemptible in our eyes.  
He reminds us that we are a sinful people; 
He convicts us; He catches us in the lie; 
He embarrasses us; He exposes us; 
He accuses us of being hypocrites.  

He holds us to a higher standard;
He speaks directly to God; 
He claims to be God's Son,
and we reject him for this, and mock him.  
We do not move to assist him. 
Let God rescue him, 
“He relied on the Lord; let God deliver him;
 let God rescue him, if he loves him.” 

These are the same words used by those who conspired 
against Jesus when he was dying on the cross.  (Mark 15: 31-32)
They did not realize that the suffering and death 
of an innocent servant would restore life for sinful man.  
The words they spoke were to be fulfilled, not by Jesus 
coming down from the cross, but by sinful humanity like us 
being delivered, forgiven, and lifted up.  

The psalm describes the Passion of Christ, and we know 
that what seemed like a moment of weakness for Christ
became a source of strength for the rest of us.  
God reverses this righteous man’s condition –
“But you, O Lord, be not far from me; 
O my help, hasten to aid me.”

Hope returns, the righteous man is delivered.
And he celebrates his deliverance--
“I will proclaim your name to my brethren;
in the midst of the assembly I will praise you: 
You who fear the Lord, praise him.”
Because Jesus humbled himself and accepted death 
on the cross, “God greatly exalted him and bestowed 
on him the name that is above every name.” (Philippians 2:9)

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The psalmist speaks of those who scoff at him and mock him. 
 In what way can you identify with those who scoff at our Savior
 and mock him with parted lips? 

2.  The Psalm Response is, "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"   

Why do you think our Lord would have uttered these words at the time 
of his Passion?  What had changed for God's son?  Had God changed?




1 comment:

  1. This psalm became the prayer of Christ at the time of his suffering on the cross. On our behalf He paid the penalty of our sins by shedding his precious blood.

    Why? God loves us so much that for an atonement of our sins, God allowed Christ to die for our sins so we could be justified. God is holy and righteous so that His justice can be done this way.

    I think it is God who put Christ to death. Christ was so obedient to God to the point of his death. He could say no to God, but He became a sacrificial lamb for our sins.

    What abundant love Christ has for us. He even suffered a separation from God, and on the cross He experienced all possible human pain, sickness, misery, and suffering upon Him at once. It must have been unbearable torture for Him. He experienced momentarily a darkness without feeling God’s presence. He felt His main source of light was gone.

    Jesus felt like God had forsaken him. He cried out, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?” This is the exact cry of David to God - the exact description of suffering that our Messiah Christ had to endure for our sins.

    Yet come to think about it, I too have mocked Him, insulted Him and despised Him. But Christ has endured all for my redemption and for an atonement of my sins.

    No, God had not changed. Our Savior’s cry was not out of his doubt, but an urgent cry to his last breath. He trusted in the Father. He gained Victory through his suffering and passion.

    ReplyDelete