Monday, March 26, 2018

Psalm for Easter Sunday

Reflections


“I shall not die, but live.”

Today's Psalm is an Easter song that 
marks the procession of the pilgrims 
going up to Jerusalem for the feast 
of Tabernacles.  The Psalm begins 
with a call to praise that starts the 
procession,  
“Give thanks to the Lord, for
His mercy endures forever.”

Israel is continuously put to the test, 
humbled and then delivered.
In so doing Israel discovers its 
calling to be a people of God 
and to bear witness to the nations.

Jesus makes this calling his own, 
and in the Psalm we read prophetic 
verses that recall the paschal mystery 
of Christ, who is rejected and then 
exalted, and who becomes the 
foundation stone of the new people 
of God,  
“I shall not die, but live,
and declare the works of the Lord.”  

As the psalmist says, “The right hand 
of the Lord has struck with power; 
the right hand of the Lord is exalted.”
Our days of mocking our Savior are over; 
we no longer hurl insults at him.  
“The stone the builders rejected 
has become the cornerstone.”
Our Savior has risen.  
“By the Lord has this been done;
it is wonderful in our eyes.”


Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.   Our Response is, "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad."  

On this Easter Sunday, explain what is the basis of your joy and gladness and how 
your life is affected by our Risen Savior.

2.  Our Lord, rejected by the 'builders' of his time, has become the 'cornerstone' of 

our lives.   What does it mean to you to build your faith on the resurrection of Jesus?



2 comments:

  1. HAPPY EASTER TO ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A JOYOUS OCCASION FOR US ALL. HE HAS RISEN, JUST LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD.
    DURING THIS HOLY WEEK, OUR CHURCH ENCOURAGES US TO BE MORE OPEN TO PEOPLE OF A DIFFERENT , RACE , COLOR, ECONOMIC CLASS ETC.

    I SAW CESAR, THE MAN WHO MOWS OUR GRASS WEEKLY. WHEN HE FINISHED, I CALLED HIM OVER, WE SAT DOWN AND TALKED, I PAID HIM HIS MONTHLY WAGES, AND GAVE HIM A BAG OF ORANGES. THEN CESAR SAID, " I’M COLD, I HAVE A CHILL," AND I FOUND MYSELF OFFERING TO
    RUN IN THE HOUSE, AND GET HIM A SWEATSHIRT. I THINK GOD PUT THOSE WORDS IN MY MOUTH, AND I WAS SO GLAD THAT HE DID. CESAR SAID “NO THANKS”, BUT PREVIOUSLY I MIGHT NOT HAVE MADE THE OFFER. THANK YOU GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I shall not die, but live."
    Jesus is risen, Alleluia. He won victory over death. He has become my salvation. The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone. It is marvelous in our sight, so that we can now enter the gates of God’s eternal love with the song, “This is the day the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

    Jesus is risen, so we have the privilege to live in eternity with Him in Heaven. I have confidence in his eternal love. His great love saved us from death and eternal damnation in hell. How could I not give Him thanks and praise ! His love endures forever for humans, sinners like me.

    Frankly speaking, there have been days that my mood was down and low. Sometimes my situation seemed out of hand. My husband’s health was not improving, my grandchildren are suffering from depression. God is testing my faith. I felt like I am a loser. My sorrow and guilt are overwhelming. I do not feel like rejoicing.

    But I talk to God during prayer. He gives me a reason to live, and live because Jesus paid the penalty of my sins so that I do not need to worry about them. Just be glad and rejoice!

    He is risen, Alleluia!

    ReplyDelete