Monday, December 18, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, December 24, 2017


Reflections

Psalm 89:  2-3, 4-5, 27, 29   (Read)

"The promises of the Lord 
I will sing forever."

This Sunday's Psalm 
sings about God’s 
promises to Israel 
and God's covenant 
with David.  
“I have made a covenant 
with my chosen one.”
That same divine selection 
is celebrated in Sunday's 
first reading that tells the story 
of how David was taken from 
pasturing sheep to become 
Israel’s commander. (2 Samuel 7:8)

Our psalmist quotes the Lord, 
“I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all 
generations.”

And how does this young shepherd boy 
rise to greatness in Israel?  He succeeds 
because he has found favor with God,
and God will be the source of his strength.  
This is the same divine strength that St Paul 
tells us is available to each of us, 
if we believe and have faith.  (Romans 16:25)

But it isn’t a one way street with the Lord.
David is to show us that we must give glory 
to God.  He cries out, “You are my Father, 
my God, the Rock, my Savior.”

Our Mother Mary also finds favor with God 
and is anointed to be the Blessed Mother 
of our Lord Jesus.  She too responds by 
giving glory to God in this week’s 
Gospel.  (Luke 1:38)

The Lord’s covenant with David stands firm, 
and it is through God’s promise to David 
that the Messiah is born of Mary.
“Forever, I will maintain my love for [David];
my covenant with him stands firm.”
That promise to David is fulfilled 
in the birth of our Savior, and for that 
we too must give glory to God.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  David is to call out to the Lord, 'You are my father, my God, the Rock, my savior.'  
We too are inspired to cry out to God in a similar way. Tell of the times when you 
have felt like crying out to God in worship and praise.

2. Our Psalm response is, 'Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.' 
One reason to sing of the Lord's goodness is because His promises are trustworthy. 
Describe how you have relied on the promises of the Lord in your faith journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment