Monday, December 11, 2017

Psalm for Sunday, December 17, 2017



"The Almighty has done great things for me."

Mary, the mother of our Lord, speaks this 
psalm of praise (the Magnificat) to God 
in the words of a humble servant:
“For he has looked upon his handmaid’s 
lowliness.”

Despite her elevated position as God’s 
chosen instrument, Mary does not exalt 
herself – she exalts God the Father.
"My soul proclaims the greatness of 
the Lord.”  
She glorifies the Lord; 
“The Mighty One has done great things 
for me.”   
Mary is truly God’s anointed one, 
and the spirit of the Lord is upon her;  
"My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” 

And Mary inspires us;  
we too are God’s lowly creatures
and should expect the Lord 
to do great things for us as well. 
We too should expect to be singled out 
by the Lord to do His work.  
This is our food (to do the Lord’s work),
 just as it was for Jesus the Son.

Mary testifies to the light, as does 
John the  Baptist in Sunday's Gospel. 
(John 1: 6-9)
Because of Mary’s faith, 
the Old Testament promises are fulfilled, 
and the tide is turned.  As the Psalm says,
“The hungry [that is who we are] are filled 
with good things.” 


Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Blessed Mother says, "The Almighty has done great things for me."
In what way do you also believe that God has done great things for you,
and how have you responded?

2.  Mary declares that God has filled the 'hungry' with good things. 
Do you consider yourself one of the hungry ones?  And if so, in what way 
has the Lord fed you with good things?




1 comment:

  1. "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my savior.”
    This is Mary’s song called the “Magnificat.” I am amazed at how she proclaims God’s greatness. She is willing to say “Yes.” "May it be done to me as you have said.” This said in spite of the possible risk for her being pregnant. Look at Mary's humility. She was recognizing and accepting God’s will as a gift from God by saying, “From now on all generations will call me blessed.” She became God’s favored one --
    Holy, pure, gentle in her spirit, filled with the Holy Spirit.

    Like Mary, I have to say ‘Yes' to God whatever it might be, whether my life will be in danger or my reputation might be ruined. Like Mary I have to respond to God, “Yes,” willingly, even though the outcome seems disastrous. How? If I obey Him and trust and believe that He has done great things for me, the outcome will result in a good end.

    God gives us Jesus Christ, Our Savior, through Mary, to save us and to have abundant life. Like Mary my soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God. He delivers me from eternal damnation. I offer up to God my endless gratitude from a thankful heart.

    And Yes, as Mary says, I am one of the ‘hungry’ ones, always hungry for God's words. He feeds me with wisdom, mercy, discernment, humility, fear and understanding, to know more of God. Sometimes I feel the fear of God.
    It leads me to go to Confession so I could have a right fellowship with Him. And also I became a better person with the foods he gave to me. How I thank Him!

    ReplyDelete