Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, August 7, 2016


Reflections 



“The eyes of the Lord are 
upon those who fear Him, 
to deliver them from death."


The Lord's eyes are upon us 
because we hold Him in awe, 
we praise Him.  Like a Good 
Shepherd He protects us from 
harm; He puts up a hedge 
around us and provides us 
with armor in our battle 
against death and the evil 
one. He feeds us when we
go through periods of spiritual
hunger. He nourishes us and 
gives us our daily spiritual 
bread.

Where else would we turn 
for deliverance from death, 
the kind of death which is a
consequence of sin? 
Remember, the wages of sin 
is death, and we are all afflicted.
Fortunately for us, Christ 
destroyed death and brought 
life to us.

We would be dead in our sins 
without the Lord's protection, 
defeated by the evil one
without the Lord's armor. 
And when our heart is starved
for God's presence, when our bones
are dry, He nourishes us and 
breathes life into our dry bones.

It is through His divine plan that 
we are saved. Our own feeble efforts 
count for nothing.  We must be submissive 
and abandon ourselves to His will and 
His grace. Because Christ humbles
Himself for our sake, there is hope 
for us, even in our time of spiritual 
famine. That is the meaning of the verse,
“Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we 
place our trust in you.”

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection
 

1.  Our Psalm Response this Sunday is, "Blessed the people the Lord has chosen 
to be His own."  Speak of how you apply this verse to your daily life.

2.  Verse 12 of the Psalm says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."  
Tell of how important it is that our nation receive God's blessing and His protection.




1 comment:

  1. Where else would I, frightened and afflicted, turn for my deliverance in a time of trial. Like the psalmist says, without the Lord's protection and His Mercy, I would be dead. Fortunately, as for me, Jesus Christ has brought life to me because He defeated the evil one and delivered me from the pit. He is my help and my shield. In his mercy my heart rejoices.

    That's why I think I am blessed that I am chosen to be His child. He nourished me in my time of spiritual famine. When I trust in Him and am submissive to His will by praying, 'Not my will, His will,' then His Holy Spirit leads me to the Truth.

    From heaven the Lord looks down with watchful care over all mankind who live on earth. At the same time He also commands the future of the nations. That's why it is important for the nation whose God is the Lord.

    ReplyDelete