Monday, August 22, 2016

Psalm for Sunday, August 28, 2016


Reflections

Psalm 68: 4-5, 6-7, 10-11 (Read)

“God, in your goodness, you
have made a home for the poor.”

Our psalmist sings a tribute to our
sovereign God, who makes a home
for the poor in spirit. Though we may
be forsaken, or neglected, or alone 
with no one to care for us, our God 
prepares a home for us. It is as Jesus 
tells us,  “In my Father’s house there 
are many dwelling places. If there were 
not, would I have told you that I am 
going to prepare a place for you?”  
(John 14:2)

Being poor in spirit implies that one is
humble, and does not exalt himself.  
In our Gospel this Sunday, our Savior 
reminds the Pharisee within us that the 
one who humbles himself will be exalted.
(Luke 14:11)

And in Sunday's first reading, we are told 
to conduct our affairs with humility, “Humble 
yourself the more, the greater you are, and 
you will find favor with God.” (Sirach 3:18)

Our psalmist assures us sinners too that 
God will lead us out of whatever sinful habit 
is holding us captive. “He leads forth the 
prisoners to prosperity.”  Like the 'bountiful 
rain' showered down upon us, God restores 
us and provides for our needs.

For all that God does for us, as the Psalm 
says, we are to “Sing to God, chant praise 
to His name!”

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist speaks of a 'bountiful rain' from the Lord, showering down upon us. 
Tell of how you have been restored by God's living water when you were parched 
and thirsty for His presence.

2.  The Psalm says that God 'leads forth prisoners to prosperity.'   Have you been 
set free from sinful habits or worldly attachments by the Lord's healing hand?   Explain.

 

3 comments:

  1. Rudy G11:48 AM

    1. My brothers and sisters --
    I have found my thirst constantly being quenched by the Lord. I have recently consecrated myself to Our Mother Mary.
    She has long been a source of spiritual power I have needed in my faith journey. When you read the lives of the Saints you hear many accounts of her intercession in our holy saints lives.
    She always, always points to Her Son.
    We have so many richness in our vast Catholic faith. Another one I have started to proclaim is the Divine Office. Many amazing moments praying and being renewed daily with this awesome heavenly gift.
    In Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy H11:51 AM

    God is to be admired and adored with reverence and Godly fear, by all that attend in his holy places. Our God gives us strength and power. Through Christ strengthening us we can do all things, not otherwise; therefore He must have the glory of all we do, with our humble thanks for enabling us to do it, and for accepting the work of his hands in us.

    Therefore we ought to say, Blessed be God; If all be from Him, let all be to Him. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus Christ reminds us again in Luke 14:11 by saying that everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. And our psalmist implies that one who is poor in spirit is the one who is humble and does not exalt himself.

    How fortunate I am! God cares for me though I may feel forsaken or alone with no one else to care for me. Because of God's protection and provision I can sing praise to God.

    I have learned the truth through Jesus's teaching, "The more you humble yourself, the greater you become." Serving others in a charitable way and studying God's word daily helps me to keep away from the grip of the enemy.

    Whenever I feel spiritually dry, I pray for the Lord's presence. And also in praising God constantly He restores the joy within me. Praise be to God!

    ReplyDelete