Monday, July 13, 2015

Psalm for Sunday, July 19, 2015

 
Reflections

Psalm 23:  1-3, 3-4, 5, 6  (Read)


“The Lord is my shepherd.”


We are like sheep, and we look to the 
Good Shepherd to lead us beside still 
waters, and guide us along the right paths.
We fear no harm, because the Good 

Shepherd is at our side.  Where else 
should we turn?

Our Lord restores us when we are down,
protects us with his rod and his staff when 

we are threatened.  We lack nothing when 
we trust in the Lord.  We fear nothing, even 
when our lives are at a low point spiritually 
or physically.

Our eyes are opened by our trust in the Lord;
we are led out of the dark valley of sin where 

we did fruitless things in secret.  Like our psalmist 
King David, we are anointed with oil by the Lord,
and we make a covenant with Him.

Our trust in the Lord is rewarded.  He sends His Son 

to save us, and His Spirit to live within us.  Surely 
goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our life.

“I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
The promise that King David speaks of in his final days 

is what Jesus died for.  Jesus reconciles us with the 
Father, and when Jesus is raised up, we too are resurrected.
 
Having been rescued by our Savior, and now counted 

among His obedient sheep, we are ready to do His will.
We are groomed to enter the Kingdom and to sit at the 

table that God sets for us.  If we believe in Him, we too 
shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection


1.   Our Psalm speaks of the Lord as our Shepherd. Do you believe 

you are one of His sheep?  What does it mean to be counted among His flock?

2.  Our psalmist says that the Lord anoints his head with oil.  Are you one of 

the Lord's anointed?   Describe how the Lord is using you as one of His anointed.



2 comments:

  1. When I was 15/16, my parents bought a 110 acre ranch in Cloverdale, CA. We had 50 sheep and 10 acres of prunes. My job was feeding and taking care of the sheep. I know what it is to be a good shepherd, and in hindsight, I could have been a better shepherd, which requires constant care and vigilance. I’m glad the Lord is my Shepherd.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Minn M3:19 PM

    To me, to be counted as one of His flock means that our Lord is guiding and protecting my every step. Not too long ago I happened to go down to the basement and noticed the dehumidifier was making a weird noise. When I checked it, the back was covered with ice and water was leaking on the floor. Thank you Lord for saving us from a potential fire hazard. As one of His sheep, when I stray, He always guides me back. I do believe the Lord protects me with his rod and his staff. He is looking out for me, keeping me safe and leading me in the right direction.

    Sent from my iPhone

    ReplyDelete