Monday, December 15, 2014

Psalm for Sunday, December 21, 2014


Reflections

 
Psalm 89:  2-3, 4-5, 27-29  (Read)
 

" I have made a covenant with my chosen one.”

This Sunday's Psalm sings about God’s  
promises to Israel and God's covenant with David.
“I have made a covenant with my chosen one.”
That same divine selection is celebrated in our 

1st reading that tells the story of how David was 
taken from pasturing sheep to become Israel’s 
commander. (2 Samuel 7:8)

Our psalmist quotes the Lord, “I have sworn to 

David my servant: Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”

And how does this young shepherd boy rise to 

greatness in Israel? He succeeds because he has 
found favor with God, and God will be the source of his 
strength.  This is the same divine strength that St Paul
tells us is available to each of us, if we believe and 

have faith. (Romans 16:25)

But it isn’t a one way street with the Lord. David is 

to show us that we must give glory to God.  He cries out,
“You are my Father, my God, the Rock, my Savior.”

Mary also finds favor with God and is anointed to be 

the Blessed Mother of our Lord Jesus.  She too responds
by giving glory to God in this week’s Gospel.  (Luke 1:38)

The Lord’s covenant with David stands firm, and it is 

through God’s promise to David that the Messiah is 
born of Mary. “Forever, I will maintain my love for David;
my covenant with him stands firm.” That promise 

to David is fulfilled in the birth of our Savior and for that 
we too must give glory to God.

Amen

 

Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  David is to call out to the Lord, 'You are my father, my God, the Rock, my savior.' 

We too are inspired to cry out to God in a similar way. Tell of the times when you 
have felt like crying out to God in worship and praise.

2.  Our Psalm response is, 'Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.'  One reason 

to sing of the Lord's goodness is because His promises are trustworthy.  Describe how 
you have relied on the promises of the Lord in your journey.



2 comments:

  1. Minna6:27 PM

    As the hymn goes, "The Lord is good to me, and so I Thank the Lord." I have so much to be Thankful for, to cry out in praise, Rejoice in the Lord always. For over a year now our family has been struggling with a personal issue. Although we still have some issues, we have come a long way with the help of our Lord's grace. Through prayers from family and others we have seen a light and trust that our Lord will continue to heal us.

    Seek and you shall find... we sought the Lord and He is answering our prayers. I sing praise to our God for He is good, His mercy endures forever. Everyone has challenges in their life and we need to remember to place our trust in God and He will lead us in the right direction. Thank you Lord for helping us through difficult times. I trust that you will continue to be there and heal us completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 89 was written about how God's promise to David was fulfilled. "I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations." God has promised to put David's descendants on the throne forever.

    But Jerusalem was destroyed and kings were no longer there; the glorious reign of David's descendants on earth disappeared because of Israel's disobedience to God. Instead, the Lord gave us the Messiah, Jesus Christ, the eternal King from David's line. Our God is faithful and righteous. He fulfills all that He promises to His people.

    There were many times I have felt weak, helpless and hopeless without God's help. I start my prayer to Him by praising and worshiping, "There is none like You." Your faithfulness and love surround you. I breathe in His spirit, His honesty, His fairness and His justice into my body. Now in my faith journey I am able to trust in His goodness towards me. For example, I am having a hard time to forgive a person who betrayed me. I have realized that there is nobody except God who is trustworthy.

    Whenever Christmas arrives, it reminds me that God's promise to David is fulfilled by the birth of Jesus Christ, who is born in the line of David. How faithful our Lord is! We rejoice in His name.

    ReplyDelete