Monday, December 8, 2014

Psalm for Sunday, December 14, 2014

Reflections
 

Luke 1:  46-48, 49-50, 53-54  (Read)
 

“My soul rejoices in my God.”
 


The Blessed Mother Mary speaks this hymn
of praise to God in the words of a humble servant,
“For He has looked upon his lowly handmaid.”

Despite her position as God’s chosen instrument,
Mary does not exalt herself; she exalts God
the Father as she professes her Magnificat.
Her soul “proclaims the greatness of the Lord.”
She glorifies the Lord, “The Almighty has done
great things for me.”  Mary is truly God’s anointed
one, and the spirit of the Lord is upon her.
She “rejoices heartily in the Lord.”

We too are God’s lowly creatures, and Mary inspires
us to expect the Lord will do great things for us as well.
We too should expect to be singled out by the Lord
to do His work.  This is our food (to do the Lord’s work)
just as it was for Jesus the Son.

Mary testifies to the light, as does John the Baptist in
our Gospel reading.  (John 1: 8)
Because of Mary’s faith, the Old Testament
promises are fulfilled, and the tide is turned.
As the Blessed Mother says, the hungry (that is who we are)
are filled with good things. 


Amen 


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.    Mary declares that God has filled the 'hungry' with good things.  

Do you consider yourself one of the hungry ones? And if so, in what way 
has the Lord fed you with good things?

2.   Our Blessed Mother says, "The Almighty has done great things for me."  

In what way do you also believe that God has done great things for you, 
and how have you responded?


3 comments:

  1. J Kim6:11 PM

    First of all, I would like to comment on the image used for this week's reflection. What a beautiful, soothing picture of Our Lady. The depiction evokes such feelings of tenderness, mercy, love, warmth, purity, and humility. Tears fill my eyes as I look at Mary's face. And as I ponder her "Fiat."

    Mary's perfect submission to God's will is such an example for each of us. Through it all, she does not rush God's timing or take any credit for the role she is about to play. In verse 49, she says "the Mighty One has done great things for me -- holy is his name." (NIV)

    If I am to be like Mary at all, I recognize the scales falling off my eyes and really seeing the blessings that abound in my life. More tears flow from me as I acknowledge the Father's mercy on me every day. These are tears of joy. I thank Jesus for providing for me continuously, whether it be peace over my son's travel for sports, strength for my daughter's unrelenting schedule, wisdom for my husband as he brings God's healing to others through surgery.

    In this week's second reading, we have one of the shortest and most powerful instructions in the Bible: 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to "pray without ceasing" or "pray continuously", depending on the translation. Mary's example inspires me to adhere to this verse and, in so doing, fill my heart with his joy. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy6:23 PM

    He has done great things for me.

    1. He gave me His mother as He gave her to John from the cross.
    2. He gave me my own mother who taught me about her and Him and all my faith.
    3. He gave me my friends, family, children, health, grace to support me when things go off course, such as illness, broken relationships, accidents, hurt feelings, my mistakes, my sins.
    4. Fun in the daily events of life.
    5. Watching others' delight, children and more!
    6. Love from Him when all human love seems missing when we're down in the dumps
    7. He helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel when I get lost in the dark.
    8. He gave us an instruction manual: his Word!
    9. Then He gave us His Word made Flesh: the Eucharist!

    As I tell the children as they prepare for First Communion: He figured out a way to stay with us there in the Eucharist...so quietly listening to us. alone on the altar or in the tabernacle. Let's take time to talk to Him, to pray and listen to what He has to say to us. Like Mary...Let it be done unto me according to thy word. We only have to try. My peace I leave with you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was supposed to attend Mass to celebrate Mary's Immaculate Conception, December 8th. Negative thoughts ran through my mind when I saw Mary's statue decorated with fake colorful flowers all around her. Even though my soul was thirty for God, I personally resented Catholic believers who worship her in that way.

    l know Mary is a chosen instrument of God. She is God's anointed one because her soul rejoices in the Lord. My negative, doubting mind opened the door to the devil. I felt sick during the celebration of Mass. Something was wrong in me. I kept asking "forgive me" for my wrong attitude toward Mother Mary. In fact, she is a model of faith, mother of all believers and model of Christian life.

    Mary is the humble handmaid of the Lord, proclaiming "I am the servant of the Lord," and praising the greatness of the Lord. She did not exalt herself. Instead she glorified God. Through her the Old Testament's promises are fulfilled. Because Mary said "Yes" to God, Salvation is available for us. The Messiah was born to this world. Mary is the mother of God. She is a faithful servant of the Lord. She is worthy to be praised by us. But I will not worship her, only God.

    We have to learn how to say "Yes" to God like Mary did. God can fulfill His will in our lives as well. Whatever we do to the least of our brothers and sisters, it will be done to God. I specially care for the sick and elderly these days. I believe I am called to care for the poor and the needy. I visit a nursing home with my husband to give Holy Communion to the residents. Following the example of Mary's faith, I worship the Lord most high.

    ReplyDelete