Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Psalm for Sunday, July 14, 2013


Reflections

 
Psalm 19:  8, 9, 10, 11
 

“Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.”

God’s statutes refresh our soul; they give "wisdom to the simple;" they "rejoice our hearts;" they are more "desirable than gold, sweeter also than honey."

“The law of the Lord is perfect,

refreshing the soul.”  The Psalm speaks to us of the joy 
that is stirred up in our hearts when 
we follow the Lord’s commands.

Our Savior Lord Jesus came to fulfill
the law and make us right with the Lord.
If we are to imitate the divine life,
everything we need to know is found
in God’s Law.  Obeying the Law brings
much reward.
 
We are kept from willful sins by the Law. 
Obey the Law and we will be able to walk
as God fearing people.  As our psalmist
explains, the Law of the Lord is in fact a
source of joy, something to be desired,
because the Law gives us wisdom and
provides us with something we can trust.

It is through the inspired Word of God that
we know His commandments and through
this Psalm that we know His Law is a source
of refreshment, a source of joy.   His statutes
do not bind us, they set us free. 

The reading of the Law should not
make us sad, but be a source of rejoicing.
Give us ears to hear!

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our Psalm response this Sunday is,
"Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life."   
Tell of how God's commandments are for
you uplifting and nourishing.

2.  Our psalmist says that God's ordinances
are for him 'sweeter than honey.'   Explain what
this verse means to you.

1 comment:

  1. One of God's words is to be kind and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." When I do good in my community, I know that God feels pleased with me. I know this because I not only obeyed one of his rules but because I get a warm feeling inside that makes me smile. An example was when I was helping the homeless around Christmas time. I came across one man with a rosary; his name was Patrick. I gave him the bag and because he was so grateful for the gift, we prayed. After the prayer, the sun came out of the clouds and I saw and felt that by obeying God, I will be uplifted and nourished.

    ReplyDelete