Monday, December 5, 2011

Psalm for Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011

Reflections

Psalm 80: 2-3, 15-16, 18-19

This Psalm is a prayer to restore Israel,
and by extension to restore us,
as a scattered people of God.
The Psalm is well adapted to our prayers during Advent.
We are a people scattered and separated from God,
and we await His coming;
He alone can 'make us turn to Him' and convert us.
“Shepherd of Israel listen … come to save us.”
This is a direct appeal to God to shepherd us.
“The Lord shall stand firm and shepherd his flock.”

“Turn again Lord ... attend to this vine.”
Just as the Lord tends to His vineyard,
He protects a shoot planted by His right hand.
The coming of Christ is intended to revive us,
restore our strength. As the Psalm says,
“Then we will not withdraw from you;
revive us, and we will call on your name.”

We all need to be renewed from
time to time when our faith grows lukewarm,
when our hearts harden due to the sins
that separate us from God.
Like the Prodigal Son, repentance
and a decision to return home to serve our Father
will brighten the face of our Lord,
and his face will shine upon us.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Barry, Yes, Our God is calling me to return to Him for repentance,
    when I sometimes go off on the wrong path. And also, when my faith is
    growing weak, I hear him calling me to repent. But the devil confuses
    me in a subtle way telling me lies. I realize that I often listen to the devil
    talking into my ears. In this way I am tricked by him, "You are worthy and
    you deserve to spend some money for yourself."
    God keeps reminding me that there are lots of people suffering out there.
    What did I do so far ? Did I serve him ? How and where can I serve him ?
    That is my question. I'll ask for God's wisdom where He can use me.
    I think I am sitting on a comfortable chair for a long time. How can I get off
    and return to Him to ask for his Mercy ? Confession ? Conversion ?
    Thank you for the comments on Psalm 80.

    ReplyDelete