Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Psalm for Sunday, December 18, 2011


Reflections

Psalm 89: 2-5, 27, 29


This Sunday's Psalm sings about God’s promise to Israel
and God's covenant with David.
“I have made a covenant with my chosen one.”
That same divine selection is celebrated
in our 1st reading from 2 Samuel that tells the story
of how David was taken from the pasture
to become Israel’s commander.

“I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”

And how does this young shepherd boy
rise to greatness in Israel?
He succeeds because he has found favor with God,
and God will be the source of his strength.
This is the same divine strength that St. Paul (2nd reading)
tells us is available to each of us,
if we believe and have faith.

But it isn’t a one way street with the Lord.
David is to show us that we must give glory to God.
He cries out “You are my Father, my God,
the Rock that brings me victory.”

Mary also finds favor with God
and is anointed to be the Blessed Mother of our Lord Jesus.
She too responds by giving glory to God
in this week’s Gospel.

The Lord’s covenant with David stands firm,
and it is through God’s promise to David
that the Messiah is born of Mary.
“Forever, I will maintain my love for [David];
my covenant with him stands firm.”
That promise to David is fulfilled
in the birth of our savior
and for that we too must give glory to God.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection:

1. Our Psalm response is, 'Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.'
One reason to sing of the Lord's goodness is because His promises are trustworthy.
Describe how you have relied on the promises of the Lord in your journey.

2. David is to call out to the Lord, 'You are my father, my God,
the Rock, my savior.' We too are inspired to cry out to God in a similar way.
Tell of the times when you have felt like crying out to God in worship and praise.


1 comment:

  1. Barry, I want to share my opinions with you about the questions you asked on
    Psalm 89.

    l. You want me to describe how I have relied on the promises of the Lord in my journey?

    Well, I have learned through the Bible that the Lord's covenant with David is
    faithful and His promise to him is fulfilled. He sent his only begotten son, Jesus
    Christ so that we can be free from our sins and saved. We're redeemed through
    the blood of Jesus. With his Mercy and Grace we all have a eternal life as his
    promise to us, because of his faithfulness and love for us.

    2. Tell of the times when you have felt like crying out to God in worship
    and Praise ?

    When I become discouraged and am in a miserable situation and weighed
    down, He provides me with strength and power. He wants me to live a
    victorious life. I realized that nothing is impossible with God. Also, my petitions were
    answered through my prayers, and my filthy old sins were forgiven through my
    confession. I thank God for his mercy. With a thankful heart I cried out
    You are my Savior, my Redeemer, my Deliverer, my Healer, and my Comforter.

    ReplyDelete