Monday, April 20, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, April 26, 2020

Reflections 

Psalm 16: 1-2, 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11   (Read)


“With the Lord at my right hand, I shall never be shaken.”

 












In this psalm David expresses his joy and enthusiasm 
for a life lived in the presence of God.  For us too, 
God is the source of our joy.  So long as we choose 
God and follow his Word, we too will be offered 
that allotted cup of blessings that David refers to, 
“Lord, my allotted portion and my cup, 
you have made my destiny secure.”

St Peter cites the Psalm's verses in today’s 1st reading,
and Peter affirms that David's verses speak of the 
resurrection of Christ.  (Acts 2: 25-28, 31)
A key reference for Peter is Verse 10 of the Psalm, 
“You will not suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption,”

Death is destroyed; our faith in everlasting life with our 
resurrected Lord is confirmed.  As David says, “I set the 
Lord ever before me; abounding joy in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.”

For us too these are encouraging words.  The Lord promises,
if we are his faithful servants, that we will not have to see the pit;
He will not abandon us.  As David says, this is enough to make 
our hearts glad and our souls rejoice.

When the Lord is with us, do not our hearts burn within us, 
as the two disciples declare on the road to Emmaus in today's 
Gospel? (Luke 24:32)
Our burdens are made light; His yoke is easy, and that gladdens
the heart and strengthens the body.   We raise a song of praise 
to our risen Savior!

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  The Psalm 's verses  affirm that we who are His faithful ones will remain 
in the presence of our Lord forever.  Speak of how you are encouraged by 
the Psalm's promises.

2.  Our psalmist inspires us to set the Lord ever before us and if we do so, 
"My soul rejoices, my body too abides in confidence."   How do you go about 
putting the Lord first in your life despite all the worldly distractions that surround us?



3 comments:

  1. 1. It is simple and short, but the phrase, "Death is destroyed," is very concise, powerful, and meaningful. It reminds me that Jesus is above all things, and He can conquer anything and everything. It leaves me at peace knowing that no matter how dreadful a situation might seem, putting faith in the Lord will always end in the best result.

    2. I wear my cross (when going out in public was an everyday occurrence) to remind myself of who I represent. I always have a rosary on my desk, and try to say a few short words of prayer before rehab, practices or games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J Kim4:31 PM

    Our world feels so fallen these days. Yes, there are blessings in disguise to be discovered during self-isolation -- but trying to get unbiased news for an accurate update on global COVID-19 is not one of them. Human nature wants only to spin narratives to fit its agenda.
    Where is the true, good news? What is the only source of unchanging information... the kind that "give me counsel... and instructs me?" (v.7). It is only to be found in Jesus Himself. And I must be aware of Him -- on the lookout for Him. Do I recognize Him?

    In the first reading, I am reminded that Jesus was born in order to die for us, so that we might live in fullness of life. We should not waste that truth because the enemy comes only "to steal and destroy". (John 10:10)

    In the Gospel, the two disciples are found walking AWAY from Jerusalem, where they surely would have found fellowship with Peter and the other disciples -- the beginnings of the Church. They are experiencing a crisis of faith; Jesus might no longer have been in the tomb, but nor was He in splendor, readying to free the Jews from the rule of Rome. (The kind of Messiah they had expected.)

    The two men know well the teachings of Jesus and yet they don't recognize Him until He breaks bread with them. In an instant, their eyes are opened and they recognize that it was Jesus Himself who was with them. Their hearts burned with His words!

    Jesus loves to touch our hearts and His presence is fullness of joy with pleasures in his right hand forevermore (v.11). However, He likes to wait for our invitation. He does not reveal Himself to the two in Emmaus, UNTIL they have invited Him in for dinner. In a similar way, He is there -- always near the door of our hearts. Sometimes actively knocking. Do I open the door? Do I even hear Him?

    I can know Jesus is close to me but I challenge myself to invite Him into all parts of my life -- even the daily quarantine grind. Surely, then, I will experience the kind of "heartburn" He wants me to feel. And He never RSVPS "no" to an invitation. In this way, I am extremely encouraged and buoyed by the Psalm's promises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the Lord at my right hand I shall never be shaken.

    Our psalmist David tells us by expressing his joy that his true goal in life is to know God and live in the presence of God, in companionship with God.
    He who has made our burden light, His yoke is easy. He is the source of joy.
    He makes my heart glad and my soul rejoice. He has made my lot secure..
    How? By seeking God’s will first, by constantly thinking about his way, we will gain wisdom and insight. In this way I am encouraged to live in the presence of our Lord forever, with less worldly distractions in my life.

    The two disciples who met our risen Lord on the road to Emmaus -- their hearts were burning within them. What does it mean ? How did it happen ? Their hearts were seeking the risen Lord. Their souls rejoiced. I also can do it by raising a song
    of praise to our risen Savior. As a believer I can move ahead confidently by doing right in God’s eyes. And I can be assured God will never forget me so I will not be shaken because He is at my right hand. He will provide real joy and strengthen me to live with him forever in heaven. So He will fill me with joy in his presence with eternal pleasure as our psalmist has assured us.
    That is his promise. My soul rejoices.

    ReplyDelete