Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Psalm for Sunday, January 26, 2020


Reflections


“The Lord is my light and my salvation.”

The Psalm is about trusting the
Lord and our desire to spend
the rest of our days in His
presence. The Psalm says,
"One thing I ask of the Lord;
this I seek: to dwell in the 
house of the Lord all the days
of my life.”

Perhaps this desire to be with
the Lord is what inspired Simon
Peter and his brother Andrew
that day by the Sea of Galilee,
when they left their father and
their nets to follow Jesus and
be his disciples (Sunday's Gospel).
Surely, Peter and Andrew recognized
Jesus as their own personal light
and their own personal Savior. 
As the Psalm says, "The Lord is
my light and my salvation."

As we grow older, we too take steps
on our journey to be with the Lord,
to enter His house.  Recall that Jesus
said, “My house has many mansions.” 
It is no accident that older people
want to go to daily Mass and be with
the Lord as much as possible.  They
are called to that promise of eternal
joy when they may “gaze on the
loveliness of the Lord” all the days
of their lives.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Two verses of the Psalm assure us that we should not fear, or be afraid
of anyone, so long as the Lord is our refuge and our salvation.  How do you
apply these verses to your daily life?

2.  Our psalmist asks, "To dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life
that I may gaze on the loveliness of the Lord."   Where is the house of the Lord,
and how do you believe you will get there?



No comments:

Post a Comment