Monday, August 12, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, August 18, 2019


Reflections


Psalm 40:  2, 3, 4, 18   (Read)

“Many shall look on in awe
and trust in the Lord.” 

Our psalmist waits for the Lord –
to reach out to Him.  He begs
the Lord, “Lord, come to my aid!” 


Just as Jeremiah was lifted out
of the cistern in this Sunday's 

first reading, so too was David 
drawn out of the pit of destruction.  
We are like that.
We are weak on our own;
we need the Lord’s strength to be
delivered from our sinful ways.

 
We put our trust in God.
Our God is an awesome God.
“Many shall look on in awe
and trust in the Lord.”

 
Our psalmist says, “He put a new
song into my mouth.”  For us, too,
it is no longer the same old tune.
We are in fact a new creation, joyfully
singing out the good news.

 
Where does our joyful spirit come from?
It comes from the Lord, and we are called
to share what he has given us and to do
his will, which is our delight.

 
Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.   Our Psalm recalls for us that we place our trust in the Lord.  Speak
of how you have been lifted up and delivered by God.

2.  Our psalmist says that the Lord has put a new song into his mouth.
This reminds us that we are a new creation in the Lord.  Tell 

of how you have been reborn in the Spirit.



1 comment:

  1. Many shall look on in awe and trust in the Lord.

    Why? David experienced God lifting him out of the pit and mud, and he was drawn out of the pit of destruction when he begged the Lord to come to his aid.
    God lifted David out of his despair. At the same time same God gave David a firm place to stand and to set his feet on a rock, and moreover He put a new song of praise in his mouth.

    How have I been delivered by God?
    I acknowledge my weakness as a human being. I need the Lord’s strength to be delivered from my sinful ways. I now know that a blessing can not be received unless I go through the trial of being in the pit like David.

    I am beginning to feel the joy of obeying and serving God. Reading this psalm I now understand about God’s nature. He loves us in spite of our sinfulness and our constant bent toward sin. His love for us is absolute no matter what.

    God's faithfulness and mercy and forgiveness have changed my life while I was in the pit of confusion due to my unbelief. He has restored me with his Spirit — his Holy Spirit has rained down on me.

    I feel renewed and refreshed again as a new person. My faith has deepened
    and also I have developed a personal relationship with God. This is a wonderful feeling that I want to share with others by speaking of God’s faithfulness and salvation. I have a greater desire to read His words and to do His will.

    ReplyDelete