Monday, February 11, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, February 17, 2019


Reflections



Image result for the Beatitudes
"Blessed are they who trust in the Lord."

The Psalm sets before us 
life choice, God or 
nothingness, righteous or 
sinfulness, self reliance or 
trust in God, good or evil, 
wickedness or love.  Those 
who deaden their conscience 
for their own ends have no 
other future but ruin.  

The righteous are blessed,
for they are separated from sin.  The righteous are able to stand fast and enhance their spiritual life.  
The wicked are completely 
powerless spiritually for they are 
like chaff that is borne away even by 
the slightest breeze.  

How do the righteous obtain their strength 
in the midst of evil?   They meditate on God's 
law day and night, they delight in the law of the 
Lord.  What does this mean for us?   We are to 
keep God’s word in front of us, use scripture 
as a guide to how we should live our lives.  
Scripture is an instrument of God, and when 
we pray to God he will answer us in the pages 
of the Bible. 

In Sunday’s first reading Jeremiah says, 
“Cursed is the one who puts his trust in 
human beings, whose heart turns away 
from the Lord.  Blessed is the one who 
trusts in the Lord.”   However we seek the 
fellowship of other men, we should 
not put our trust in them.  

When we trust in the Lord we become 
well planted and able to weather the storms of life. 
By contrast the wicked have nothing to anchor
them; they are like chaff which the wind drives away.  
They are on their own, whereas the Lord watches over 
the way of the just.  But the way of the wicked vanishes.  

And in Sunday’s Gospel Jesus himself proclaims 
the beatitudes and assures us that He is on the 
side of those who are at present poor, hungry, 
or mourning, or persecuted.  Their only hope is 
in God.  Whereas those who are filled now and 
for whom it is all too easy to forget God are in 
danger of losing all and becoming hungry.
Jesus provides the food which does not run out, the 
drink that does not run dry.  Nothing can disturb us 
if we put our faith in God; nothing can make us happy 
if we turn away from God.

Amen


Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  How do you go about anchoring yourself in God's word in order
to stand fast in the face of the wicked forces that abound?

2.  Speak of how you have trusted in the Lord and how He has 
provided you with strength and happiness.





2 comments:

  1. Rudy H6:57 PM

    The Psalmist reflects on two different approaches to life. One way is to delight in the law of God and it leads to life in season and out of season. The other way is characterized by rejecting God’s law and way and it leads to destruction.

    I often think of this Psalm and wonder which approach I’m taking. I would like to believe that I delight in God’s law, but do I really? Is the way of God a delight to me? Does following God’s law bring me to places of delight? I hate to admit many times it does not. Instead, I want to go my own way because deep down I believe that my way is the best way. I believe this even though the evidence shows I am wrong.

    The Psalmist reminds me that delighting in (and living out) God’s law leads to life. Neglecting and, perhaps, even rejecting God’s law will eventually lead me to places where I don’t want to be. I continue to forget that and wander onto paths of my own creation. Oh that the law of God would be my delight!

    Jesus, remind me often that your way leads to life. When I turn from the right or the left, remind me that only delighting in your way and your law, will lead me to Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie5:33 PM

    Thank you Barry. This reminds me of the scripture, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of Him and He will make straight your path." (Proverbs 3:5-6) We can't even put our trust in ourselves. God alone is trustworthy. We fall short of the glory of God. Praise God He sent His Spirit and allowed us to be temples of His Holy Spirit. He really does make our paths straight. God bless you. I love the way you bring the readings into the Psalm.

    ReplyDelete