Monday, January 28, 2019

Psalm for Sunday, February 3, 2019


Reflections


Psalm 71: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 15-17   (Read)


“O my God, rescue me from 
the hand of the wicked.”

This Psalm is known as a
prayer in the evening of life.
The psalmist looks back,
recalls how he has tried
to remain faithful to God,
his life’s companion.
“You are my hope, Lord;
my trust, O God, from my youth.
On you I depend since birth;
from my mother’s womb
you are my strength.”

In the difficult moments of
old age, the psalmist begs God
to come to his aid, and resolves
to praise God with all his might.
“My mouth shall proclaim your
just deeds, day after day your acts
of deliverance.”

The Psalm recalls for us the words
of the prophet Jeremiah, who says,
“Before I formed you in the womb
I dedicated you, a prophet
I appointed you.”   Jeremiah draws
strength from the Lord; God makes him
a “fortified city, a pillar of iron.”
(Jeremiah 1:5, 18)

And in the Psalm the writer pleads
with God, “Be my rock and refuge;
my stronghold to give me safety;
for you are my rock and fortress.”
In Jeremiah’s struggle against kings
and priests, he obtains assurances that
the Lord is with him to deliver him.
The Psalmist seeks the same guarantee
from God – “In your justice rescue and
deliver me.”

In today's Gospel, our Lord Jesus
was able to pass through the midst of 

the angry crowd that threatened him 
that day in Nazareth. (Luke 4:30)
Our psalmist too is threatened
by an adversary and petitions God,
“My God, rescue me from the power
of the wicked, from the clutches of the
evil and violent.”

And for us too, the source of our
ability to weather those spiritual trials
that we face in our own lives comes
from God our Father.  His works are mighty,
and His justice is available for the asking,
“I will speak of the mighty works of the Lord;
O God, I will tell of your singular justice.”

Amen



Discussion Questions for Reflection

1.  Our psalmist says that from his mother's womb God was his strength. 

Describe how you as a child of God derive strength and hope from the Lord.

2.  The psalmist cries out to God to rescue him 'from the hand of the wicked, 

from the clutches of the evil and violent.'  Speak of how you have been
delivered by the Lord from the clutches of the evil one.




1 comment:

  1. “O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked!

    Like this psalmist, as I face the old age years of my life I sit looking back and recognize how God has been my constant helper in times of spiritual trial, struggles and difficult times. God rescues me from the power of the wicked, and the clutches of the evil and violent. Because of that, without despairing, I will keep on expecting his help no matter how bad the circumstance I am in. I will have hope in Him. He will give me strength to help me keep going and and continue serving Him.
    God remains faithful to sinners like me.

    Lately I resisted going to daily Mass. I made a lot of excuses about not going. But through my husband’s prayer your grace made me see that I was confused by the evil spirit. You are my constant help to put me on the right track.
    By praying my mouth declares God’s deeds.
    I remember God’s blessing, and He saves me from the hand of evil.

    When I pray I plead, "Be my rock and refuge, do not cast me away when I am old, do not forsake me when my strength is gone. Though I have seen troubles and become bitter as I grow gray and old, I am sure you will restore my life again. You comfort me and redeem me by your righteousness. How could I thank you for all the things you have done for me!
    I am asking you to help me keep praying to you and serving you even in my old age.
    In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge."

    ReplyDelete